I just had my baby a week ago can I do exercise?

Hi I just had a baby a week ago and had him vaginally nothing went wrong I was wondering when can I start doing exercise and what can I do to start getting back in shape?

Best Answer

The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists says it's okay to gradually resume exercising when you feel up to it. But your doctor or midwife may ask you to wait until your six-week postpartum checkup so she can see how you're doing first.

Generally, if you exercised throughout your pregnancy and had a normal vaginal delivery, you can safely perform your pregnancy workout — or at least light exercise, such as walking, modified push-ups, and stretching — within days of giving birth. After your first postpartum week, a slow to moderate 30-minute walk three times a week is fine. As you regain strength, you can increase the length or number of walks.

If you had a c-section, expect to wait about six to eight weeks to exercise. However, walking at an easy pace is encouraged because it promotes healing and helps prevent complications such as blood clots.

If you weren't active during your pregnancy, or tapered off your fitness routine as the weeks went on, start slow and check with your doctor or midwife before you begin exercising.

In any case, remember that your joints and ligaments will still be loose for about three to five months, so watch your step to avoid spills. If you want to take an exercise class, try to find one taught by a postpartum exercise specialist or go for a low-impact class focused on toning and stretching. Many YMCAs, recreation centers, gyms, and yoga studios offer exercise classes for new moms.

Exercise is good for you, but in the first few months after you give birth, don't overdo it. Your body needs time to heal, and you need time to adjust to your new role and to care for and bond with your baby.

Most women develop a gap in their abdominal muscles as their belly expands during pregnancy and labor. It takes approximately four to eight weeks after giving birth for this gap to close.

If you start doing abdominal exercises before the gap closes, you risk injuring those muscles — so make sure your belly is ready before you start:

• Lie flat on your back with your knees bent.

• Place the fingers of your left hand, palm facing you, just above your belly button. Place your right hand on your upper thigh.

• Inhale, then exhale. As you exhale, lift your head and shoulders off the floor and slide your right hand up your thigh toward your knee. This will make your abdominal muscles tighten, and you should be able to feel the gap where the muscles have separated.

If the gap is three or more finger widths, you can gently begin to strengthen your abdominal muscles with pelvic tilts and leg slides. Once the gap narrows to only one or two finger widths, you can start doing crunches or sit-ups.

I hope this help you :) Mother of 3 boys..8,6 and a 2 months old

Look, I was at home second day after my C-section and i was wiping my floors, cleaning everything, driving around shopping plus walking. I WOULD NOT encourage anyone doing the same unless you're a nuts just like I am. I'm used to hard exercising and working. And even that, I ended up totally wasted after 14 days and I had to slow down otherwise I might have ended up bad. Next time I would start just with light walking around with plenty of rest in between taking care of the baby and I wouldn't worry about my figure too much. After breastfeeding and waking up day and nights you lose the pounds within 4-6 months anyways. If you really want to exercise, start earliest when you stop bleeding completely (your body is still recovering a lot from the birth and you might still feel light headed or dizzy and you don't want to hit your head/pass out or something else while exercising) and start with exercising your pelvis floor, then you can daily add a little stretch, eventually run... powerjoga is great for the beginning. There is really no completely clear guidance on when you can or cannot start. All of it are just suggestions. Most of it depends on how you are, how you feel. Just don't overdo it, be careful. Remember, your child now depends on you and if you waste your energy on exercising, who will take care of him/her.

Source(s): Talks with my dietitian, two OB-Gyn Doc's, my trainer. Lost 50 pounds within a month. Bad personal experience of trying to get in shape too soon.
  • Gayle

Honestly, if you stopped bleeding and then had a period come, you could exercise. You aren't bleeding post partum anymore, which is what the midwife was cautioning you against. Some women actually bleed for the full 6 weeks (which is awful right!?) and the high impact aerobics would and could be very bad for them. But, if you have had a week or more without bleeding and fell up to it, start slowly. If it was me, I would wait because of the 4th degree tear. But that's just my opinion.

Everyone told me that you should wait 6 week. But I was not feelin huge for 6 more weeks lol.. I started doing small workouts like crunches in bed.. Walking up and down the steps and I've just been sticking to it every day and only have 5 more lbs to loose..

Source(s): Mommy to 8 week old Chase<3

the experts say no but i say if you have exercised all through pregnancy then really light exercise should be fine. Walking and stuff and light aerobics. Dont do anything too invasive as this can hinder your recovery and maybe causeproblems later x

Start with walking. You should be fine with that. Nothing strenuous until after about 6 weeks though I'd say.

I would talk to your doctor before you do anytihng. Usually they say to wait 6 weeks before exercising and having sex.

Do squats while you hold your baby.