health tips in art?? (please read details)?

when painting, pastelling, drawing, creating art

what are some healthy tips to keep in mind?

for example, one is good air ventillation, especially when oil painting or spraying fixatives

i also read somewhere that when using pastels we should wear gloves ..is that necessary?

any other information would be helpful

thank you

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Despite what lil me says, there are some serious health risks in art. One of the worse is spray mount, which is canisters of glue which lots of artists use to glue there pictures to mount board. If you can smell it, you are breathing glue in and that is definitely not good for you. Same for thinners. If you are using spray mount, you should only use it in well ventilated areas, professionally in a fume extraction cupboard and even then wearing a mask. If you don't have one, go outside, stand up wind of you work, preferably wear a mask and spray away form you. You shouldn't be able to smell it.

The other big health and safety issue in art is the use of scalpels and other kinds of knives to trim your work. Scalpels are obviously very sharp, but are ideal for cutting paper and card cleanly and much better than scissors. However, they also cut fingers, legs and pretty much any other bits of flesh they touch. You should also ideally wear protective glasses when using scalpels as they can shatter and really ping, but that is usually only when someone is misusing them or using them inappropriately. If you are using a scalpel or a cutting blade always cut in such a way that if it slips (and it will!) it will slip away from you. Similarly, be careful if you are in a classroom that no-one else is near you. Always use a metal rule and keep your fingers above where the blade will go when holding the rule. Don't use wooden or plastic rules. Never sharpen pencils with a scalpel- use a proper pencil sharpener. You'll get a better job with a proper sharpener anyway. Be careful replacing scalpel blades- use thin nose pliers to put them on or off unless you know what you are doing. Never leave a scalpel just lying around or in a draw unprotected with the blade out. I use plastic wine bottle corks on the end of mine which work well. Keep scalpel blades only while they are sharp. Surprisingly maybe, a sharp blade can be a safer blade as you will be using less pressure to cut with it and it will give a cleaner cut. Dispose of properly, don't just throw in a bin. The cleaner may reach in the bin to empty it. At the very least, wrap it in a load of masking tape or sellotape but preferably put it into a proper sharps disposal container.

other dangers are scissors for obvious reasons and guillotines, although these are usually fully guarded assuming they are not the old fashioned type with a huge blade you bring down- they can be lethal to fingers but hopefully you won't be seeing one of those.

The other big cause of accidents in studios is slipping. There is a lot of paint and water about and the floor can be really slippy. You can obviously break an arm or bang something falling down. Similarly, artists often use ladders to pin work up or any available chair, another potential fall situation. NEVER use a stool or a chair on casters or a folding chair! i had a bruise running from my knee all the way up to my groin as a result of standing on a folding chair. it was a nice shade of blue to yellow, but it was an effective way to learn not to use folding chairs as ladders and it could have been much worse.

And finally, don't forget painter's madness. Many famous artists are insane in some way, look at Dali or Van Gogh or Tracey Emming. Although, maybe they became artists because they were insane and not the other way round? Welcome to the Asylum. Have fun while you're here!

• 1 decade ago

From personal experience, it's recommended that you wear some sort of protection when oil painting. I found out, the hard way, that I was violently allergic to particular kind of oil paint even though I'm not allergic to oil pastels or other oil based products. Also, depending on the type of oil paints used, over a long period of exposure a person can develop an allergy.

Most art supplies are nontoxic, so you don't have to worry about wearing gloves.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

there are no serious health risks in art. you can use ventilation when using white spirit but i don't find it necessary. If in an art exam of something where alot of white spirit is in use then ventilation will stop the lightheadedness but you shouldn't need when it is only you painting as you only need a small amount.

If you open the window when using hairspray then you may do the same for spraying fixatives as it is the same stuff in factct i just buy cheap hair spray and it works a treat. You don't need gloves for pastels.

Your fine don't worry

• 1 decade ago

Nah, gloves while using pastels aren't necessary. They make it harder to work, if anything, but one should always wash their hands thoroughly afterwards, and should try to avoid pastels with a bunch of unecessary chemicals in them.

Pencil shavings are a biggie for me; make sure they all end up secure, those little buggers are easy to breathe in.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.