Am I getting HD audio through my PS3?

This is probably a dumb question.

I have my PS3 connected to my HDTV via an HDMI cable. Then I have an optical digital audio cable going from the PS3 to my home theater. Am I getting HD quality audio if I, say, play a Blu-ray or PS3 game (since my PS3 is not directly connected to my home theater via HDMI cable)?

Favorite Answer

First, it is digital audio, not HD audio. You can get digital audio through a coaxial cable, optical cable, or HDMI cable. HDMI cables can sometimes not allow audio through when recording, and is the reason to use optical or coaxial cables instead of HDMI when recording to a DVD recorder, for example.

With that said, you are getting digital audio using your optical cable. Make sure you have your audio settings set to Optical instead of HDMI in your PS3 audio settings.

I have my PS3 set up with HDMI and Optical, and the reason being is I found that some of my movies sound better going through the optical cable, so I have my PS3 on optical all the time instead of using the HDMI cable as my audio cable (except for when I use Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD digital audio formats). Both of my cables go through an A/V receiver.

sickcallaway is wrong. 5.1 Dolby Digital (<--- see the name) and DTS are both digital audios. DTS-HD (also know as DTS++) is also digital audio, but DTS-HD can play more audio formats. Same with Dolby TrueHD.

Here is why it is called DTS-HD: “We chose the name DTS-HD for the new formats in the consumer market because of both the strong association of DTS as a premium brand, and HD (high definition) as representing highest quality in the consumer electronics market,” said Brian Towne, Vice President, Consumer / Pro Audio Division at DTS.

DTS used the name HD as a name (same as Dolby with Dolby TrueHD), not to promote it as not being digital. Here is a DTS article that will help explain ( http://news.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/10381/10745... ).

You are fine using an optical cable, and are not getting worse audio because you are not using the HDMI cable. The only thing the HDMI cable did was put the digital audio and video cables into one cable instead of separate, like an optical cable and component cable, and allows you to play DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD.

You can only get DolbyTrueHD and DTS-HD (both digital audio) with an HDMI cable, but since your A/V receiver doesn't have an HDMI input, it doens't support these two formats.

in the beginning, S/PDIF transmission -- over the two optical TOSLINK or coax -- would not have the bandwidth to hold Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA alerts. in case you connect your Blu-ray participant to your receiver with optical or coax, the audio will "fall back" to the lossy audio tracks. circulate to the PS3's considerable menu and circulate to Settings -> Video Settings. as quickly as there, scroll all the way down to the BD/DVD Audio Output format (HDMI) and set the PS3 to stream Linear PCM. this might tension the PS3 to decode the Dolby TrueHD / DTS-HD MA tracks on the PS3 and it will deliver them out as uncompressed LPCM on the HDMI connection. each and every thing performs LPCM. Then all you should do is set up your television to pass it with the aid of to the receiver, make helpful your television is hooked as much as the receiver, and you should get DTS-HD going to your receiver. So, it would not easily rely in the adventure that your receiver is DTS-HD able with the aid of fact the PS3 has the flexibility to decode DTS-HD MA.

You can't transmit HD audio through an optical cable. The most is 5.1 Dolby Digital/DTS. HD audio can only be achieved with an HDMI cable.

Optical is still giving terrific sound though.

Yes, you should be if you have an HDMI Cable.

yes, as long as you change your settings in audio, then you can, that's what i have