Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

4 wk old kitten biting itself?

so i have a malnourished kitten i just started hand feeding cuz mum wont feed her, lately now that shes becomming more active she is starting to bite her feet and legs and today she made her own foot bleed from biting, why would she do this? How to fix? Shes only 4 wks and im not bothering with a vet on this thanks as i dont intend to keep this kitten but if its an easy fix id like to go that way

naps, thanks so much you are on to something with this because as it turns out she is 1/2 siamese, obviously if it gets worse than the "tiny" spot she made bleed then i will go to a vet, I'm not an in humane person im also just not someone to freak out about everything and go to a vet or a doctor even for myself, so f**k off for acting as if im somehow cruel to animals as i took this kitten in along with a few more, dont act like you know how cruel someone is based on a question on a web site online, thanks

if it continues or gets worse i will definitely take her to the vet, i just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas first, yes i know how to take care of a kitty silly ^^ i've helped out a dozen or so in my lifetime and even helped birth them a few times but i appreciate the concern for my knowledge as i would be concerned too with so many morons out there, she was almost dead when i started hand feeding her, after 3 days of hand feedings i can no longer feel her spine sticking out and she tries to rub on me and purr, i love her as ive loved many, anyone need a sweet kitten with possible skin problems? s.w. MI

Favorite Answer

Sounds like possible Feline Hyperesthesia:

Problems underlying hyperesthesia syndrome:

Hyperesthesia syndrome, sometimes referred to as self-mutilation syndrome, rolling skin syndrome, twitchy cat disease or atypical neurodermatitis, is a problem in cats that can cause twitching of the skin, vocalizing, excessive grooming, sudden jerking, running around as if being chased, a dislike of being touched and tail swishing. Affected cats can also self mutilate, which can cause hair loss or severe skin irritation or injury, as part of this disorder. Siamese, Burmese, Himalayans and Abyssinians are the most commonly affected breeds. Hyperesthesia syndrome should be distinguished from the normal, playfully "crazy" behavior displayed by most domestic cats. Hyperesthetic cats will appear to be in distress; normal cats will not.

There may be numerous underlying physical disease processes that stimulate the hyperesthetic response in cats. It is also possible that in some cases purely behavioral problems underlie the syndrome. Some veterinarians have speculated that an underlying disorder gives affected cats sensations much like those that people get when their legs fall asleep (paresthesia). Others believe that the syndrome may be triggered by itchiness that may be caused by a variety of disorders including allergy to certain foods, fleabite sensitivity, bacterial, fungal and parasitic infections, among other diseases. Scratching can lead to an "itch-scratch"cycle, which contributes additional stimulation to persistently provoke the response. Tumors of the brain and nervous system, metabolic disorders like diabetes and hormonal disturbances are potential contributors to hyperesthesia syndrome as well.

Your veterinarian will perform a general physical and neurological examination to assess your cat’s overall health status and to help identify underlying diseases that might stimulate your cat’s behavior. Often the underlying disease is diagnosed by excluding other possible anomalies. Routine tests to aid in diagnosis can include bloodwork and radiographs (x-rays) of the spine. Other tests that may be performed include CT and MRI scans to assess the possibility of a tumor or other nervous system abnormality. If clinical evidence of a skin disorder is found, the veterinarian may perform a number of tests and diagnostic procedures to aid in identifying it.

Treatment of cats affected with hyperesthesia syndrome is directed at the underlying disease, if determined, and the signs presented by the affected cat. Symptomatic treatment may include anti-seizure medications, corticosteroids, or anti-anxiety agents. Often these medications are tried therapeutically in series (one after the other) to determine which drug works best for the specific patient. Acupuncture has also been used for some affected cats."

*********

Also, have you been explained to by your Vet on how to care for your 4 week old kitten? They need 'round the clock care (feedings every 2 hours with KMR mixture, and slowly be weaned off by 8 weeks). If you haven't been explained how to care for kitty, you can write me, but I'd prefer knowing you've taken her to the Vet for a check-up anyways if she's self-mutilating.

P.S. Sorry for the extra about feeding kittens - wasn't sure if it was your first one. I was just worried 'cause there are people saving kittens from the streets that haven't a clue -- "moons" as you said - lol, so just wanted to add that part just in case. I can see you're a non-moon! :o)

Source(s): http://www.geocities.com/pndtpa/glossary/feline-hy... **** Animal Services Volunteer/Foster Red-Cross Certified in Dog & Cat First Aid (Trauma/Emergency) Pet-Sitter/Hospice Caretaker Guardian of 9 Beloved Shelter Cats >^..^<

A 4 week old kitten is too young to try out any 'home remedies' on such as creams or shampoos. Only thing I could recommend is a GENTLE bath with a warm wet washcloth to wipe away any skin irritants. Make sure to dry her off well. Kittens, especially one that small, can go downhill very quickly if they get an infection. If it were one of my babies, and I do have a few cats myself, I would take her to the vet.

Source(s): 34+ years of blissful cat ownership

She might have some sort of skin irritation or rash. Dont know what you could get for that tho.Only a vet would be able to say whats rong with her for sure

that animal cruelty...if your cat is biting its paws to the point of bleeding it's a sign that ti needs to go into an animal hospital.

she could have flees?

i just took in a stray kitten, and she bit herself, it turned out that she had flees. (gone now)