Okay so i opened the ATF oil only reservoir in my 2004 325ci and there was brown liquid, is this normal?

the atf oil only reservoir which im pretty sure is the power steering fluid tank, had brown liquid in it, is this normal or is it possible that some idiot at the dealer put in regular motor oil into it?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • brod
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The reddish hue of new ATF degrades with time and use into something like you mentioned (brownish). And motor oil in itself when new is not brown in color but yellowish. You can easily check if it is ATF by checking the viscosity (thickness) of the supposed ATF. It should be thinner by a fraction compared to engine oil.

My suggestion is just to have your power steering fluid flushed/replaced. No need to go chasing a ghost that may not be there.

Power steering fluid should be replaced preferably every two years.

This cheap service item when neglected can cost you approximately $1500. in steering rack repairs.

• 4 years ago

ATF is taken under consideration one of two issues: a million) The (Beaurao of) Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (and Explosives, so BATF or BATFE... or 2) automated Transmission Fluid. If ATF busts in on you, yu are the two: a million) merchandising Cigarettes for the time of state lines evading taxes; 2) Making Moonshine or merchandising unlicensed Alcohol; 3) Trafficking, allotting, production and actively merchandising and trafficking some heavy-accountability Federally banned weapons because of the fact 1986, like various distant places AK47s; or 4) (that's the vehicle one) Your automated Transmission Fluid has been made to leak. In a clean vehicle that's probable superb. Oh n a warm day it gets even warmer. verify the point with the vehicle working although BMW says to do it. basically placed ATF in the ATF field. which style? BMW style, no theory which one they are making use of. it could besomething particular, and that's sturdy.

• 1 decade ago

some times the engine makes moister and can cause this to happen. your talking about the cap if you are that normal but if the oil gats brown that means you got water in the oil and thats not normal.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.