How powerful is the human brain?

It has been said in psychological and medical journals, humans only use from 1-10% of the brain's intellectual potential. Spiritually speaking, believers assume the entire Universe was created by the spoken word of God. If man is created in God's image (and I know even this is debatable in the realm of artistic imagery), what do you think could happen if humans were to use 100% of the mind's potential creative energy?

Roscoe you're no deadbeat. I like your answer it shows insight so you're in the running for best answer. I guess in a way our brain is like a recording device and we just choose to access certain tapes at different times as we need them. I love to use analogies and I think that's a pretty good one. Maybe that can relate to savants having only one tape that they can play?

Favorite Answer

Respectfully, the using only 10% of the brain is an inaccurate misquote. What is says is that during some activities, only 10% of the brain is in active use. We use 100% of our brains. A big chunk of that is storage. In some of those same psychological and medical journals, it is said that we store everything that we experience, from birth. Every, sound, touch,smell, sight etc. Sometimes we do not recall specifics, but those memories are where insights come from. Or that feeling of 'something is just not right about that guy'. Or I 'liked Joe from the moment I met him'. Those feelings are based on past experiences stored in the inactive parts of our brain.

A difficult question to answer because it is based on two myths. I'm surprised that people still believe this 10% of the brain thing, but if we are created in a god's image, that is image only. I doubt this myth was intended to include the god's powers as well.

Our brain is not really like a recording device because we do not get identical playback - our recall is pieced together, is subject to how we perceived the event (which can be faulty) and usually embellished with whatever bias suits.

That's why eyewitness testimony and anecdotes can not be used as evidence in scientific method.

• eri

The 10% thing is a myth - it's been shown wrong by medical studies, and no one ever really believed it in the first place, because there was nothing to back it up. MRI studies show we use all of our brain, just not all the time.

People have had amazing mental abilities we still don't understand fully - like savants in math and music. There's some way they're tapping into a hidden potential the rest of us can't. But there's no evidence that any part of your brain would let you, say, break the laws of physics.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

How powerful is the human brain?

It has been said in psychological and medical journals, humans only use from 1-10% of the brain's intellectual potential. Spiritually speaking, believers assume the entire Universe was created by the spoken word of God. If man is created in God's image (and I know even this is debatable in...

Source(s): powerful human brain: https://tr.im/R1IKS

The 10% number is a complete myth. There is no scientific basis to it whatsoever. Sometimes people try to play it off by saying we only use 10% at any given time - this is also false. We use all of our brains, though parts may not be used all the time, and some parts may not be used often.

That depends, Are you talking about the brains capability? Or are you asking how much "power" will it give you when you nibble on one? lol

Okay, all jokes aside. I'm not sure about the rest of your question. But about the "creative imagery" The way I always interpreted the meaning of "in His image" meant that He made us to be like Him. Not necessarily look like Him physically.

As I write this I was watching an old rerun of M*A*S*H*. In the episode I just heard a great quote from one of father Mulcahey's services.

He said "I want to tell you about two men. Each facing his own crisis. The first man you know rather well. The second is a patient here. Well, the first man thought he was facing a crisis. But what he was really doing was trying to impress someone. He was looking for recognition, encouragement, a pat on the back. And whenever that recognition seemed threatened he reacted rather childishly. Blamed everyone for his problems but himself because he was thinking only of himself. But the second man was confronted with the greatest crisis mortal man can face, the loss of his life. I think you will agree that the second man had every right to be selfish. But instead he chose to think not of himself, but of a brother. A brother! When the first man saw the dignity and the selflessness of the second man, he realized how petty and selfish he had... I... I... I had been. It made me see something more clearly than I've ever seen it before. God didn't put us here for that pat on the back. He created us so he could be here himself. So he could exist in the lives of those he created, in his image. "

Edit ~~ I like what you said too, Roscoedeadbeat

i think that einstein actually believed that humans could do other things with the brain because we only used so much. if this is true, then maybe i do have hope of learning and controlling the Force. Kinda like Travolta in the movie Phenom.

I believe it's the apex of animal consciousness thus far, and we have latent abilities that may be just evolving/ developing. The study of psychology is fascinating. We use all our brain at different times, and yes, a lot of it is memory storage. In other words, the brain is moogly powerful! lol

How powerful is the human brain?

NO ONE KNOWS. Science certainly doesn't know for sure. And anyone who claims they do isn't using their brains.

As to what percentage of the potential is used, I think it varies and I've never heard reliable data proving that people in general only use a small amount. However, go to your local suburban strip mall and you'd be brainless to think those people are living up to their human potential!

Of course as the others said, the 10% thing is a myth.

When they say we were created in Gods image, you have to realize that the term "image" does not refer to our physical image, but our spiritual image, or you might use the word soul. Our need for love and fulfillment are a reflection of Gods needs for these things. This statement justifies the creation of mankind and Gods role in our life as a father figure.