Alcohol at a High School Graduation Party...What are your thoughts?

My middle son is graduating next month and we are having his open house at his Dad's (my ex-husband) house. We are disagreeing on whether to have alcohol or not. (For the adults, not the kids)

I say the party is for our son, not us and I don't want to have to police his friends to make sure they are not drinking.

The ex thinks it is perfectly fine and since the beer is for the adults, he doesn't see a problem.

I think we are just asking for problems.

What are your thoughts? Any good argument I can give him, or anyone think I need to lighten up? I am open to all opinions!

I am *assuming* since it is at the ex's house, he would be the one to get in trouble.

Favorite Answer

I'm going to take a different approach to this, but come to pretty much the same conclusion. My parents let me drink at a young age (too young, but I wasn't complaining at the time). If you were my parents, and you only brought alcohol for yourselves, even though it's MY celebration, I'd be irritated, to say the least. I'd probably try to sneak as much beer as I could for myself and my friends. And of course, there would probably be a fight later, because you'd be mad at me for sneaking the beer, and if y'all got in trouble for it, there would be an even bigger fight...and it spirals out of control from there.

Doesn't seem worth it to me.

Source(s): My crazy family.

Why would your ex even want to risk it? Kids that age are drawn to alcohol because it's "cool" and it's prohibited. Having alcohol at the party is a recipe for disaster. The best thing you can point out to him is that liability is a huge factor here. If even one kid sneaks some of the alcohol, he can be held legally liable if the kid: 1) gets sick, 2) drives and gets into an accident, 3) his parents find out and get mad and sue the source of the alcohol, etc. What if a kid gets drunk and then gets pregnant? Guess who's responsible? Your ex! No one is held accountable for their personal actions anymore, and there is too much liability in having alcohol around underage teens. Your ex will be very sorry if he goes forward and has alcohol at the party because he will probably be held liable for that decision in a court of law. He could lose everything he has just for a few beers. Not smart!!!

I would not allow it. Just because its only for the adults doesn't mean the teens won't take it.

When I graduated we did not have any alcohol at my open house it just causes to many problems.

Even if their is alcohol if a person is leaving your house and has been drinking and crashes the provider can get in trouble too.

Source(s): mom to four little girls

I'm pretty sure that any adult present can be prosecuted for contributing to the delinquency of a minor since you will be the "chaperones".

In addition, if, God Forbid, one of those kids manages to get drunk and take off in a car, you and or your ex can be held responsible for any incidents that occur off the property as a direct result of the alcohol consumed at the home.

Bad Bad Bad Idea.

It's a kids party, the chaperones are there to police and supervise...they can't do that while drunk. So the parents shouldn't be drinking anyway.

Tell him to grow up and drink his beers at his own party...this party is for your son.

My opinion...STUPID!!! If you bring any alcohol to a graduation party even if it's for the adults...stupid. The kids will get ahold of it somehow,someway. Have a dry party and show responsibility. You can serve non alcoholic beer, non alcoholic drinks that taste like a real drink. If anyone dies from too much alcohol they had at your party...do you want this to be what everyone remembers? You can have tons of fun without booze. At my sisters wedding kids got drunk and almost got killed.They found a way to get the booze.

• There was alcohol at my graduation party but of course no one under 21 was allowed to have any. I had some older friends (whom I worked with) and family & family friends there and it was for them.

If you wish to have alcohol at your son's party, it's fine but you & your ex need to realize that if somehow an underager gets some & something happens, you both will be responsible. I don't think it would matter who's house it is, you both are the parents.

Be careful.

Source(s): <3 Mama of autistic 4 year old Tyler & 16 month old Riley <3

You should respect your parents wishes. If you want to drink with your friends, do it somewhere besides the family gathering. I don't think you should drink until you are of legal age, but I know you probably will anyway. Just hope you don't lose some friends in auto accidents as a result.

They WILL get into it, if there is.

I just graduated in '07 and have been to at least a dozen grad parties in the last few years, and while I will say most of them had alcohol, most of them also had drunken underage teenagers sneaking around. Unless this is a fairly small party or mostly family I wouldn't do it, but that's just me, it's really up to you how much it bothers you and whether or not you're willing to risk.

The potential for some very serious problems isn't worth it. What could be perceived as innocent fun could have dire consequences. Don't do it, you both could wind up in trouble with the law and with the parents of some underage guests that attend. Your sending the wrong message having alcohol present.

Whatever side you take with this argument, it seems unfair to serve anything that your son & his friends cannot partake in. A graduation symbolizes entrance into adulthood, this day is celibrating his triumph over all that schooling and he, as young as you may see him, thinks he is an adult. To serve "adults" alchol that he isn't allowed to consume is only telling him he is still a child. If you won't allow even a controlled/limited amount he can have, then it should be banned to all. This is his day to celibrate, and he shouldn't feel that he is being seperated from the "adults" because he can't drink adult drinks.