How does my ex husband keep avoiding paying child support?

My ex and I divorced in 2003. We have two children ages 9 and 11, and I have primary residential custody. He has been ordered to pay about $150 a month in child support. For about 10 month we received a weekly check for $31.50, but now the kids get nothing. My ex is remarried, has two more kids, and only works sporadically. He works a lot of temp jobs and does work for family members.

I am remarried also, and my husband and I were told when we filed our taxes this year that my ex can file a certain way to avoid having child support garnished from his return. Well, he must have done that, because the kids and I have still not seen our money.

What can we do? We cannot afford to hire a lawyer to get my ex to pay. I thought a court order was just that - a court order. How does he get away with continually avoiding payment?

Best Answer

All these people have all kinds of lofty suggestions but the truth is, only 1/4 of children owed support monies actually get it...that is FACT.

And if it makes you feel any better, my ex owes us 45K, yes, 45 THOUSAND DOLLARS in child support....and yes, the state has been on him......but try keeping up with someone who jumps cash job to cash job.....

Good luck to you!

Source(s): "contact state's attorney's office"...that gave me the BIGGEST LAUGH!!! Hahahahahaaaaaa!

Well, he isn't paying it. When he does not really have a job to garnish wages from, how are they supposed to garnish his wages? The cs is still accruing against him, and he will not be able to get away with it forever. Although, he can for a frustratingly long time. My ex has not ever paid child support, 8 years now. He lost his license after about the first year, cannot license a car, or anything. He doesn't work unless it is under the table, and has not filed taxes in 8 years. He has a hearing in June for contempt of court. This will be his 4th contempt hearing, and they will probably give him another 3 months to start paying his child support. It just goes on and on!

you have to call friend of the court an tell them you want a 'show cause' hearing. That is a court hearing for him that makes him give a reason why he has not been paying suport, he will be ordered to pay a certain amount immedietly, then back pay will be factored in to current amount. The judge can have it garnished from his wages, but as far as taxes, I think it is too late to get anything from the 2008 taxes. You have to make an attempt for that before tax time.

Call the friend of the court. Even if you dont want a show cause hearing (which you dont need a lawyer for, many times you dont even need to be there, but you should), FOC can also get you intouch with child support enforcement too.

If you have a legal order most courts have a support enforcement division and they can go after him. I pretty sure that after a month of 0 support they can file a garnishment against him, and if he does not pay they can have him arrested (happened to an ex of mine).

As for his other kids the court has been know to say " you chose to have more you have to support all of them"

Best bet call the court or social services and look into support enforcement.

BS! not u but ure husband. im only fifteen and my little brother has a dif father than i. his dad tried to the same thing pretty recently. didnt happen. his mom sued for unpaid cash (child support). he had to pay and the judge raised his monthly payments. but, this is in TX. i guess it really depends on the judge and the state...but mostly just the state. good luck, that guy seems like a real dirtbag jerk.

My close friend had to go through court to get her ex to pay child support. Now it comes out of his pay.

he probably work and get paid cash. Is hard to know what is he doing but call child support agencies and tell them that you havent receive a penny from the guy, they will help you!

• sunbun

Contact your State's Attorney Generals Office and they can pursue this issue for you.

• Chrys

because the state you live in doesn't have the power or the personel to deal with it...either go back to court or find some way to garnish his wages.

he's getting away with it because you're allowing him to. you need to bring him back to court