_
Lv 6
_ asked in Society & CultureHolidaysRamadan · 1 decade ago

Question about Quran translation (Verse about Jews and Christians)?

OK, so reading through an article (by Sheikh Imran Hosein) on his website, the Sheikh makes a comment on the verse and the defective translation about verse 54 of Surah al-Maidah comment on the believers relationship between the Jews and Christians. The Abdullah Yusuf Ali translation states:

“Oh ye who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians for your friends and protectors: They are but friends and protectors to each other. And he amongst you that turns to them (for friendship) is of them. Verily God guideth not a people unjust.”

and taken from the Muhammad Asad translation, the verse states

“O you who have attained to faith! Do not take the Jews and the Christians for your allies: they are but allies of each other – and whoever of you allies himself with them becomes, verily, one of them; behold, God does not guide such evildoers.”

The Sheikh later goes on to detail an error in translation and he says:

"The original Arabic text of the verse does not state: “they are but friends and protectors to each other” (Yusuf Ali), or “they are but allies of each other” (Asad). What the verse actually states is that “when Christians and Jews become friends and allies of each other then Muslims are prohibited from maintaining friendly relations or becoming allies with such Christians and such Jews (not all Christians and all Jews)”."

I see now that the verse does not state not to take Christian and Jews as Wali, it states do not take as Wali, Christians and Jews who have taken each other as Wali, for example it is not against Islam for you to befriend the Ahl al-Kitaab, rather it is mentioned that when the Jews and Christians will be friends (remember to consider the enmity between these two groups of people throughout time) we should not take them as wali.

My question is, is there anywhere else (any translations, other Scholarly opinions) that support this interpretation of the verse?

And if this interpretation is credible, is it describing the current situation, ie the friendly alliance between the Jewish state of Israel and predominantly Christian west?

Update:

Edit: @ Y!A Moderators....Please direct me to a racist comment. Thanks

11 Answers

Relevance
  • FTL
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Christians and Jews are cool.....

Evengalicals and Zionists are another story.......

• Maria
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Assalamu alaykum Really each scholar who translated the Qur'an has a slight difference interpretation abou any verse although they have same black hair,each person has different judgement. Among the people of the book are not the same in their opinion Among of them there are Christians and Jews who have strong opinion/conclusion in reciting verses of Allah at night and they always perform sujood or prostration to Allah Jews as people of the book include non zionist jews In Islam we can find different interpretation too so we have many madzhab or Islamic sects after Muhammad pbuh passed away.such Maliki,Syafei etc

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

5:51 O you who acknowledge, do not take the Jews and the Nazarenes as allies, for they are allies to one another; and whoever takes them as such from amongst you is one of them. God does not guide the wicked people.

Verse 5:57 provides the characteristics of the people of the book, whom we are instructed not to ally ourselves with. Muslims should not ally themselves with those who insult their values or promote hatred against them. Obviously, this instruction is in the context of religious conflict; not in the context of social, personal, or financial relationship. There are righteous people among the people of the book (3:113; 3:199: 5:69). Eating their food or marriage with them is permitted (5:5). Verses 5:57 and 60:7-9 are among the verses that provide us with basic principles in dealing with others.

• 1 decade ago

I am not expert in Arabic, but I do not think that Sh. Imran Houssien is such a great person that the translation he has done against all other translation can be accepted. In my knowledge none of old Arabic Tafseer or Urdu translation have drawn any such conclusion.

Keep in mind that it is not the issue of translation. It is one of the major issue related to understanding of Deen itself. Imran Hossein actually is challenging understansdind of Deen of whole Ummah including early pious muslim.

In my understanding "ally" is a good translation of Wali. Wallahu A'lam.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Ahl al-Kitaab cannot be trusted. Throughout history, they have betrayed Muslims over and over again. Now the Zionists use the Western Christians for financial and military support to oppress Muslims in Gaza, Lebanon and West Bank, not to mention "Israel". The sad thing is the "Islamic" nations that surround "Israel" support the Zionists as well. When the Zionists tell Egypt to close a border crossing, Egypt does it, regardless of how many Muslims on the Gaza side die due to lack of med. treatment, malnutrition etc.

• ιѕα
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I agree with you. It not permitted to befriend those who fight against Islam and Muslims. However, we are permitted to befriend those who do not fight against Islam and Muslims. Therefore, it does not mean we cannot befriend those who are allies of each other. If a Jew and a Christian are allies of each other, but do not mock or poke fun at Muslims, we can still befriend them. It is stated in Al Quran that we can befriend those who do not fight against Islam and Muslims. Allah (Swt) does not forbid us from befriending those who respect Islam and we have the authority to embrace them as acquaintances.

Allah does not forbid you to deal justly and kindly with those who fought not against you on account of religion and did not drive you out of your homes. Verily, Allah loves those who deal with equity. (60:8)

Surely Allah only forbids you as to the ones who have fought you on account of the religion, and driven you out of your homes, and backed others in driving you out, that you should patronize them; and whoever patronizes them, then those are they who are the unjust. (60:9)

It has been said that during the time of Prophet Muhammad (Saw), majority of the Muslims were troubled about maintaining their coalitions with the Jews and the Christians.

So you see the ones in whose hearts is sickness vie swiftly with one another among them. They say, "We are apprehensive lest a turn of (bad) fortune should afflict us." Yet it may be that Allah will come up with the conquest, or a Command from His Providence, so they will be remorseful for what they kept secret within themselves. (5:52)

The verse which I have posted above states that those Muslims who hold uncertainty in their hearts will eventually become a supporter of the enemies. That is why Muslims are told to be alert when befriending Christians and Jews (those who mock Islam). Peace and God bless.

• 1 decade ago

Assalamu Alaikum »αмιяαн

Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem...

i say these words for protection...

i do not say that i am speaking for Allah subhana wa ta'ala...

i would suggest that you go into your heart of hearts and ask Allah subhana wa ta'ala what the verse means. i will tell you how i understand it and i am not relying on the scholars though some might agree with these words... insha'Allah.

The verse is speaking about the Jews and Christians who are allies with one another in derogation of Islam... in derogation of the truth...

[5:111].[10:37].[2:284]

[2:256] "There is no compulsion in religion- the right way is indeed clearly distinct from error. So whoever disbelieves in the devil and believes in Allah, he indeed lays hold on the firmest handle which shall never break. And Allah is hearing and knowing."

i would also like to say that as a Muslim revert i have lots of Christian friends and family... am i to reject the ones that i love? THAT is not true Islam to me. "Allah is the friend of those who believe- He brings them out of darkness into light. And those who disbelieve, their friends are the devils who take them out of light into darkness. They are the companions of the Fire; therein they abide." [2:257]

Allahu A'lam.

Subhan-Allahi wa bihamdihi. Alhamdulillah!

[Astaghfirullah]

further note: That a true Christian, Jew or Muslim takes refuge in God Almighty... they do not rely on man to save them. only Allah subhana wa ta'ala can do THAT. Alhamdulillah.;... and what better Friend is there than Allah?

Allahu Akbar!

Source(s): these words reflect my thoughts and intentions... Alhamdulillah... Allahu A'lam!
  • 1 decade ago

I've read Ibn Kathir's interpretation in Arabic, and it supports the first two translations.

There is a difference between friendship and being kind with people.

Islam tells us to be kind and just with Christians and Jews who are not fighting us..

• I still can't figure out why so many Americans think that Muslims are racist haters. I just don't see what could give them that impression...hmmmm...

• 1 decade ago

there kufr come in to our islamic lands and start killing and raping our sisters and brothers. and den dey have the nerv to call us terrorists, do we come in to amercia to kill your kids? ur babys? and rape ur sisters? no we dont, we religion of peace, but u guys come to our religion kill us, so we defend our self and slaughter them who are in the battle feild. and then dey bomb dey own towers and blame it on us lmfao pathetic.

allah knows every thing they do, dere is no ecaping from death and no escaping from returnin to the all mighty lord, so prepare ur self will ur salah, with the 5 pillars of islam, follow the sunat of the holy messenger, lead a righteous life and allah as promised u paradise,

belive in allah SWT

la ilar ar ililar

recite it! and learn it! tell the hole world!

there is none worthy of worship except Allah!

allah akbar!!!!!!

god is great!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.