Tracy asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

What do you look for when buying cookware?

I am in the process of remodeling my kitchen and would like to have a new cookware set to go with my new kitchen. I love to cook and the cookware I currently have is terrible. I am so overwhelmed by the many types and price ranges that I never get around to buying anything! My family and friends have bought me things here and there but I haven't used anything I have been thrilled with enough to go buy a whole set. Any advise as to what to get or to avoid would be appreciated. I will be cooking on an electric smooth top stove, if that makes a difference.

Favorite Answer

Invest wisely. Get a small set (stockpot, 4 quart sauce pan, 2 quart sauce pan, 10 inch skillet) all with lids. Look for linings that will not chip or break down with high heat. Stainless steel is good, but can require some more work to clean. Check that the handles are riveted onto the pots, and that the handles have stay cool handles. Of course, if the handles are plastic, they can't necessarily go in the oven.

I've got Revere stainless 80/20 and love, love, love it.

Heavy bottom, long handles. Cooks like a dream on my old electric stove in my crummy rental apartment.

• C.M. C

I tend to go for stainless steel, with a heavy cooking surface (bottom). I do a lot of one pot and one pan cooking, so when I talk pan, i want to be able to sear my meat and seal it first on the top of the stove, then into the oven.

My only problem is, when I have other things on my mind is that I forget the darn handle is stainless steel also. lol

Now don't laugh at this, and this is not and add for the company, but would you believe I have a set of Bessemer ware, has to be more than 20 years old and I still use them specially the big Dutch Oven, and the Casserole Dish, I use those two most of all.

Chris

I recommend getting all-clad. It's expensive, but it does a great job, and you'll never need to buy cookware again. Start with a few basics, and add a couple of pieces as you need them.

I have those, a frying pan and dutch oven in cast iron. (cheap and the best cooking surface) and a big stainless stock pot.

I look for performance and durability... have fun!

look for pots & pans with a thick base, the heat will be distributed more evenly & cause less burning.

Like most things in life, you get what your pay for with cookware. If you buy good quality, it should be the only time you have to buy pots & pans (if you only use them in a domestic situation).

With pans, I personally think scanpan is good quality, without paying ridiculous amounts of money for it. With pots, look for a good, solid stainless steel pots with thick bases.

They should be weighty wth tight fitting lids. I look for a good quality of non stick coating also. Rachael Ray has an excellent line of pots and pans.

heavy for it's size

glass lids, so you can see what's going on inside

nonstick saute pans and griddle

enameled cast iron dutch ovens for browning/stewing

cast iron for cornbread and frying chicken :-)

I do not buy sets. I buy pieces to suit the need I have.

I generally visit http://www.gourmetretailer.com/gourmetretailer/cat... when I have to update myself about the latest on kitchenware/cookware. All the best for remodeling your kitchen.

• luster