Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

a wish, best friends animal sanctuary utah, why can't all states be as dedicated to no kill rescues like utah?

i know that in Florida and other states, its a dime a dozen to euthanize, they cough 27000 annual euthenazias in one city alone there, but its all over the country...

its so important in utah to save these animals... in every city, the kill rate to make room is so low...like what 400 a year for the whole state (not sure of tally but i think about that)... there are several animal rescues and whenever a shelter gets close to having to make more room, the city rescuers have huge adoptathons... donations pour in to save animals... they advertise in local papers, "help help, the shelter is full they will be euthenizing on such and such day... and people help! why can't it be this way in every state... what a huge difference so few people can make!

4 Answers

Relevance
  • CF_
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

dont fool your self.. no kill shelters still kill... they turn away animals they do not want.. those who are old or they think are unadoptable.. they turn animals away when they are full..

they DO NOT WORK!

here is a link on no-kill shelters.. you might find it interesting.. it is an ideal but cannot be maintained unless we have more spaying and neutering, and more adoptions.

http://www.bukisa.com/articles/589_are-no-kill-she...

• Julia
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

It is much more important to spay and neuter than it is to do things like this. If all non-breeding quality animals (AKA those who were not champion show dogs or work dogs) were fixed, there would be no unwanted animals. I can guarantee that fact. They wind up in shelters due to careless breeding, and ONLY careless breeding. A good breeder will only produce animals they have homes for (there's always a waiting list.

When we bred my b*tch, all of the puppies were spoken for before they were even conceived. (She was a champion and the father was the #3 of the breed in the country). That is how everyone should breed. Good breeders should also screen potential homes thoroughly to ensure it's a "home for life" and the animal will never wind up in a shelter.

So, while this is a lofty goal, there are not enough homes for all of the animals conceived. Not everyone has enough land to adopt 2 or 3 dogs a year, so those dogs must be put down. It's unfair that someone felt it was more important to make a few hundred dollars than to screen homes and spay/neuter their dog. That's why they die. Nothing the states can really do about it.

9.6 million animals are euthanized each year, and unfortunately there aren't 9.6 million homes available. It's impossible to home every animal.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Utah's population is nothing to that of Florida not to mention it's ethnic make up. So to compare the two is like apples and oranges. Imagine you have a 2 bedroom apartment you have a friend over. Easy to manage, everyone's comfortable. But now you have 30 people over, the rules start getting blown off real quick. You see why what they can manage in a small state looks easy but when you talk about the numbers in a state like Florida or NY or CA the numbers get blown out of control when you start thinking of strays and litter sizes. You must remember they are still animals and if you like it or not they will always take a back seat to humans.

• 5 years ago

If only animal lovers could be trained to spay/neuter cats, with access to a vet's office, I would be spending a couple of hours per night (after my full time job) to fixing animals, if only I knew how to do so safely and by the book. No vet fees, just use of equipment. I see there are some spay/neuter vans that go from town to town. This should be in every town, nationwide. Volunteers can be taught how to do the surgery, it could cut down on cost immensely.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.