Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 1 decade ago

for how long can you let a two year old cry themselves to sleep for.?

Favorite Answer

i agree i don't know a 2 year old who doesn't cry i have a 3 year old son and there are times where he just acts so bad that i let him cry himself to sleep if you have done everything you can think of made sure they pottied that they aren't hungry loved on them and they are still throwing a fit let them cry they will get over it...basically what your child is doing is seeing who is boss...my son does it all the time where they will push you to see how far they can get with you...to see if they can get there way...don't fall for it because if you do then your child will think they control the show i have seen it happen...so it a child crying is damaging then wow we all got problems but don't worry about it your child still loves you and i doubt will remember crying themselves to sleep the next morning :) hope this helps

I tried this with my daughter and it did not work at all. She would cry for hours, and I am not exaggerating. Every 30 minutes I would go in and check on her and yes she was physically ok and I don't think it will traumatize her for years but she never cried herself to sleep. I called the doctor the next day and they told me to give it a few nights, keep checking in every 30 minutes or so and leave. I tried this for 5 nights and every night after 2-4 hours I stopped it. If it works for your two year old then great! I am a jealous mother :) I know for my daughter this technique did not work. I don't think it is acceptable to let your child cry for hours on end ... but that's just me....

If a 2-yr-old crying is damaging, then my son is going to be special if he ever stops throwing these tantrums...

....a 2-yr-old is NOT an infant. You can say to them "it's time to go to bed, mommy loves you and will be right in the kitchen, goodnight". They don't think you've mysteriously disappeared. They don't think you ran off and died. They're old enough to understand.

That being said, I still wouldn't let them cry for more than 30 minutes or so without checking on them.

hi,

you can let your child cry for 20 to 30 minutes. if the the child is still crying, I would go in an check to see if anything is wrong. if not leave and let the child cry. it doesn't hurt them . It's hard to hear them cry. I struggled with this. it seems like it will go on forever. and you get tired. But it will get better. hope this helps.

Judy

I don't like the cry it out method. I let her cry for about 5-10 minutes and go try to sooth her.

Any amount of time is damaging. So none.