Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesOther - Car Makes · 1 decade ago

Building and restoring a muscle car?

Hey guys I am really curious to as how much it would cost to build a GTO, Nova, Mustang, Camaro, etc...? I wouldnt want to make a riciculous car. I have no expierence building cars or motors. I just have expierence with motorcycle motors. Is it possible for someone with no expierence to do a job like this?

Thank you very much!

Favorite Answer

I am going to disagree with C7S here. That kind of money is not realistic for an average pony or muscle car, unless you are restoring something rare like a Hemi Challenger, or a Yenko Camaro.

That kind of money is more realistic when you are restoring something like a Duesenberg, Packard or Cadillac of the classic era.

The point is this. You don't have to bury yourself financially to enjoy a nice old car. The best way to do it with your skill set is to buy the best and most complete car for your budget. So what if it doesn't get 400 points at an AACA meet? Who cares, you are driving it and enjoying it. That's the point.

There are plenty of reproduction houses that make nice parts for your more popular models. That saves you some money, because NOS parts are very expensive. But as I said earlier, if you get the most complete car for your money, you shouldn't have to worry too much about the small details.

With this economy the market is full of low hanging fruit - folks who are overextended, unemployed, etc. And they need to unload their toys. So there are many opportunities out there. I recommend that you start doing your homework ahead of buying a car though. If it's a Mustang you want, then start buying books and manuals on the particular year range you are interested in. Make yourself an expert in the details, so that when you go out there, you are armed with knowledge. Then you can use that knowledge to separate the good cars from the dishonest ones.

Motors are motors including bikes, your bike engine is more advanced than a push rod engine but a lot of restoration is body work.

Dedication and passion go a long way but for a beginner with a first car it will take a loong time.

I vote Chevy II (66-67).

• C7S

$50,000-70,000.

And then you could sell it for $100,000+

It is impossible for someone without experience.