promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 decade ago

Is it possible to have a "yy" baby?

i was in health class and we were talking about how a boy is xx and a girl is xy. And I was wondering if its possible to have a baby with two y's. And if so, what would it be, boy or girl?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Dolyn
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

To answer your question, no. You cannot simply have a yy child. At least 1 X chromosome is required to create a viable fetus. There are actually important functions on the X chromosome, where as they have found only a few actual genes on the Y (more or less the genes that turn on and off testosterone production during pivotal developmental times).

However, you can have a baby with just 1 X. She would have a condition known as Turner Syndrome. You can also have a baby with 3 X's, and it't not problem at all. Also, you can have a baby that is XXY, and he would have a condition known as Kleinfelter Syndrome and would have some female characteristics. You can even have a baby with XYY and some studies suggest those children are more aggressive (I don't believe that though).

The point is there MUST be at least 1 X to produce a viable fetus, bare minimum. So, YY could never happen.

Source(s): I'm a Biologist (molecular genetics).
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Impossible. There will always be an x chromosome because that is what the mother provides - it's the only thing she CAN provide. A father can provide an x or y. So the only options are xx or xy.

If two men could somehow reproduce, that would be the only way to get a yy. But sperm don't bind with other sperm, so it can't happen.

• Diet C
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Girls are xx boys are xy.

Women only carry x chromosomes, so it's not possible.

• 1 decade ago

... no.

Girls are XX

Boys are XY

In order to be YY

you would need two parents with Y genes.

and since males cannot reproduce together, this is genetically impossible.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i don't know im going to look that up that is very interesting

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.