I am 26 years old what can i do to lower my high blood pressure?

Favorite Answer

Your diet is very essential for the proper regulation of your blood pressure. The food ratio of 6:2:1:1 as outlined by Dr. Burnard is the best I have found so far to regulate the diet in such a way that keeps you in excellent health no matter what health condition you have. I have elaborated more on this food ratio at http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Apb49...

Eating a very wide variety of foods, varing your diet and sticking to the above mentioned food ratio will help your body to be properly nourished thus enhancing better organ functions. Also eating foods rich in anti-oxidants will reduce oxidation of cholesterol deposits on the blood vessels. Oxidized deposits usually reduces their flexibility leading up to high blood pressure. Eat mainly natural foods. These should include eggs, cows milk and other dairy product. Sea foods and sea vegetables, nuts and seeds are also very important in your diet. If you stick to the above mentioned food ratio, 60% of your diet would be of vegetables, 20% would be of fresh raw fruits, 10% of starchy vegetables and 10% of protein, hence your eggs, meats, milk, and other dairy products, sea foods, nuts and associated fats, and cholesterol should total only 10% of your diet - not enough to cause you harm. Besides the high volume of fiber associated with 60% vegetables and 20% fruits will absorb the excess dietary cholesterol to have it excreted. Hence there is no reason to deprive yourself of the nutritious benefits of the above foods inclusive of beef fearing the accumulation of cholesterol in the blood. And if you are taking care to vary your diet, you'd not be eating any one of these protein rich foods every day.

Apart from the fact that it is impossible to totally avoid salt, sodium from sodium chloride is very essential for life. It is also essential for the regulation of body fluids as well as your blood pressure. Hypertensive patients excretes more salts through sweat and urine hence the importance of replacing it. Therefore total abstinence from salt is not the answer to lowering your blood pressure. Care however should be taken in the moderate use of salt. In cases such as steaming vegetables, with the use of very little water, the use of table salt can be eliminated. I usually fry plantains without the addition of salt. With the exception of egg, avoid adding salt to already prepared foods. The amount of sat used in cooking (which should be moderate) is adequate.

It is very important to use the allium vegetables in your diets. These are foods such as onions, garlic, scallion, chive, leek and shallots. These vegetables are rich in antioxidants and has the characteristics of keeping the blood less viscus.

It is important to maintain 8 to 10 glasses of water each day and exercise. Exercise can take the form of brisk walking.

One other thing. Do not use artificially prepared seasoning for the flavoring of your foods. Use the allium vegetables along with thyme instead.

If you have high blood pressure you should be under the care of a doctor but here are some recommended ways to control your blood pressure

* If you have heart disease you may be on medications. Take your medication as prescribed. It will not be effective if it's not taken as directed. If you are experiencing side effects, talk to your doctor - there may be a another medication or a different dosage you can use.

* Monitor your blood pressure regularly at home. There are many quality home monitors available. Note: Doctors advise against using wrist or finger digital monitors due to inaccurate readings. Instead purchase a monitor with an arm cuff. When taking your blood pressure, avoid smoking, eating, drinking coffee, tea, or alcohol, or heavy physical exercise for at least 30 minutes prior. Sit quietly for 5 minutes. Take two readings about 3 - 5 minutes apart. Keep a record of your readings. This will help you see any changes over time, and create a record you can share with your doctor.

* Reduce the salt in your diet.

* Lose or control your weight.

* Get more exercise.

* Quit smoking.

* Your doctor may recommend reducing your alcohol intake

* Get regular checkups. Home monitoring is not a substitute for periodic evaluation by your doctor or other health professionals.

High blood pressure is a serious health risk, but the good news is it is something that can be controlled. Good luck!

• To answer this I would need to know what your blood pressure is. Medical studies have determined that the two most accurate home blood pressure monitoring devices are the Omron and the RelyOn. The most accurate and reproducible blood pressure is taken at home first thing in the AM. This means wake up - go to the bathroom (sorry but this is usually the first thing that most people do when they wake up) - and then take your blood pressure. More than 200 studies on ambulatory blood pressure monitoring have demonstrated that blood pressure follows diurnal circadian variation. This means that blood pressure rises and falls during the day. It is lowest upon awakening and usually highest around 11 AM with a second peak at about 4 PM. The difference from the lowest to the highest reading may vary by as much as 50/25 mm Hg emphasizing the need for a reproducible reading. The risk of premature cardiovascular disease increases in a linear fashion with blood pressure above 115/075 mm Hg. Indeed cardiovascular risk doubles with every 20/10 mm Hg increase above 115/075 mm Hg. Thus a person with a blood pressure of 135/085 mm Hg (which may sound normal) has twice the cardiovascular risk of someone with a blood pressure of 115/075 mm Hg. This is not meant to imply that if you are being treated for hypertension - and if your AM blood pressure is reduced to 115/075 mm Hg - that your risk will drop to that of a never hypertensive patient. The changes in function and structure of the arteries begins 5 to 10 years prior to the blood pressure being elevated. 'Normalizing' the blood pressure reduces your risk but is not able to make it the same as a never hypertensive individual. If you need additional assistance please email me at johnerussomd@jhu.edu. I wish you the very best of health and may God Bless.

In 90 to 95 percent of high blood pressure cases, the cause is unknown. In fact, you can have high blood pressure for years without knowing it. That's why it's the “silent killer" Many researches have linked high blood pressure to stress, diet, exercise, and even smoking. I was diagnosed with high blood pressure not too long ago and the best thing I ever did was buy this book.

http://www.book-of-cures.com/

Its like $30 and when it comes to you health it is well worth it, the book is very informative, gives you tips on what to eat to lower blood pressure, along with food combinations what not to eat etc.. I Highly recommend it, well worth the price

Source(s): family of doctors, high blood pressure runs in my family

3 years ago, I was diagnosed - hypertension with a reading of 160/100. I used to feel dizzy a lot, my legs had awful cramps, and levels were very low in my potassium, causing my fingers and toes to always cramp together. One day I started to feel really faint while I was driving with my daughter in the back seat and I passed out, hitting 3 cars and ending up in a ditch. That moment,I knew I had to do something because my meds weren't working. I heard about this diet from a friend and thought I'd give it a shot. The results have been remarkable. In just 21 days, I honestly can't remember feeling this good, my blood pressure went from 175/110 to 125/70.

You should read "The Blood Pressure Solution" (also available in electronic format, watch the video presentation here: http://www.fixbloodpressure.com ) It's a very comprehensive step-by-step book that walks you through the natural remedies of high blood pressure. It provides you with a lot of information on what foods to eat, how you can acquire and prepare these foods, how you can change your lifestyle for the better, how to eliminate the toxins from your body, how to reduce stress, how you can check your blood pressure level the correct way etc.

The book is amazing in that it not only lowers your blood pressure without the help of medications; it also aids you in having a life that is healthy, happier, and less stressful. This book chanced my life.

• EA

try eating more fresh fruit and veggies more poultry and fish and less red meat, staying hydrated with water and less stress. Eating foods that are high in potassium. Do try to reduce sodium/salt intake. Lose weight if necessary. Normal Blood Pressure is about 120/80 Pre- hypertension Blood Pressure is about 140/90

Source(s): heart patient

Garlic tablets are natural. My doctor told me to use these when I first was diagnosed. I used one tablet a day. Eventually it would not bring my blood pressure down enough. I have been on medicine for over 26 years. I found out I had it at age 23.

I've used this myself, and it worked great.

I have high blood pressure and high cholesterol level.

I'm not a doctor, so I wont be able to tell you all the medical terms stuff.

I just want to share my experience with you.

One thing for sure, do check out the ingredient in every thing you take.

Here's the link to the product.

http://www.marketamerica.com/ryantsan/index.cfm?ac...

• Marcos

dont eat so many greasy foods remember that some people when they have heart attacks they ask themselves but how? if i hadnt eaten junk food in a week but what they dont know is that they started that heart attack 20 years ago for eating so many junk food now please exercise dont have cholesterol things like the egg's yellow part because it makes you blood pressure go up. and avocado is the best thing i love and it helps you destroy the bad cholesterol and also theres been some testings and its said that it helps prevent prostate cancer and breast cancer because it has an acid that kills the cancer cells