Pauper's Oath Contested....help!?

I filed for divorce in Harris County, (Houston) TX with a pauper's oath of inability to pay court costs. I recieved a notice to go to court for a hearing on the contest. Is this standard? It says I need to show strict proof. Does that mean bring bills/statements. etc? Or does getting this mean, that basically I need to pay the filing fees?

Is there a guideline for income above which these sorts of requests are denied?

Technically, I make over 3700 a month as a teacher, but only actually bring home just 2,000 after taxes, deductions....

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Uh... go to the court and tell a judge this, not us.

• Login to reply the answers
  • lopato
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Paupers Oath

• 4 years ago

It's an oath where someone declares they are completely destitute (or are in fact a pauper). I don't believe it is commonplace today but with the looming world recession... Prisoners often take it but many people made the oath during the Great Depression as it was (is) a pre-req for gaining benefits, services or a particular status. Basically it's an affidavit for a legal purpose.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Puaper's oath is based on your income, and you're far from a pauper. The other person is right, you will irritate the judge, and he will deny it. I stood behind a person who made $8/ hr (in TX) who was ordered to pay their own fees.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Definition of pauper is a person destitute of means except such as are derived from charity ; specifically : one who receives aid from funds designated for the poor or a very poor person. I do not thing that Court will find you unable to pay filling fee and you may also irritate judge which is bad idea.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.