I just lost my job, my husband isn't supportive at all?

I was under a 1-year contract with a job at my university. They decided they don't have the budget to renew my contract, so they are letting me go next Wednesday. My husband is blaming the whole situation on me, saying I could have done something to change the situation, and making me feel even worse than I already do. What should I do?

Favorite Answer

Have him write his feelings, and share them with us. I've discovered that you can't give advice, unless you hear both sides.

I'm sorry to hear this. When I was made redundant I felt so bad, but I ended up with a better job in the end. Men sometimes feel they want to answer everything and get annoyed when they don't have the answer, so maybe that's why he's blaming you. How were you to know though. All you can do is look for something new. Good luck.

Well, don't feel bad because he may not even realize what he's doing. He may be unhappy himself so he just has to find something to poke at you for. I know it's easier said than done, but honestly, what else are you going to do? Leave him? You might just need to put on that iron suit and act as if his words aren't hurting you at all. Tell him how hurt you are by getting let go, not by what he's saying to you. If you talk to him without cornering him about his faults he may be more open to understanding your feelings. And stroking a man's ego always helps. Ask him if there's anything he can do to help you get back on your feet.

Begin searching for another job. There is no need for blame, it is out of your control. Your husband is probably just reacting, rather than rationalizing. There is always an initial shock. Don't dwell on losing your job, it sucks, but only you have the ability to change it. Tell him you need him to be supportive and have him ask his contacts if they know of any leads.

I think you should step out of your pity party and start your search for a new job. There is absolutely no reason to argue over this, whats done is done and you can't change it... so all thats left to do now, is start sending out resumes

I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt & HOPE he's just stressed. If he doesn't change his attitude in the next few hours you tell him he's being a real butthead. Tell him that you need his love & support at this tough time in your life. Best wishes honey.

Sorry to hear about that. But in this economy that we are in alot of people are losing their jobs. So its not your fault he needs to be supportive of you and not blaimg you for this. I hope you feel better. And good luck

Tell him that he is right, that it was your fault for losing your job, and that you are looking into working the streets Wednesday night after you leave your old job. He'll understand.

Divorce him. He should be supportive because you did nothing to cause being let go. Talk to your parents. Move home if you have to. You should dump him. What do you think his response would be if you got sick and lost your job. Dump him.`

Eh, what a dick - he doesn't get you.

From a guys perspective, when you loose a job you immediately look at your competition that kept their job and what they did differently.