Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

What do you know about the case Plessy vs. Ferguson ? Do you agree or disagree ?

I have to write a essay talking about equal opportunity and I have to use this case too. I don't understand it a lot. Heelp please :)

Favorite Answer

Plessy v. Ferguson, 163 U.S. 537 (1896), is a landmark U.S. Supreme Court decision in the jurisprudence of the United States, upholding the constitutionality of racial segregation even in public accommodations (particularly railroads), under the doctrine of "separate but equal".

The decision was handed down by a vote of 7 to 1, with the majority opinion written by Justice Henry Billings Brown and the dissent written by Justice John Marshall Harlan. Justice David Josiah Brewer did not participate in the decision. "Separate but equal" remained standard doctrine in U.S. law until its repudiation in the 1954 Supreme Court decision Brown v. Board of Education.

After the high court ruled, the New Orleans Comité des Citoyens (Committee of Citizens) that had brought the suit and that had arranged for Homer Plessy's arrest in order to challenge Louisiana's segregation law, replied, “We, as freemen, still believe that we were right and our cause is sacred.”[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plessy_v._Ferguson

The Supreme Court established the "separate but equal" policy with Plessy v Ferguson. Plessy was riding a train and sat in a car like everyone else. Somehow, someone found out that he was 1/16th Black. He was removed from the car and made to ride on a freight car that was hooked to the train. Plessy took it to court and the Supreme Court ruled against him, saying that so long as the facilities were equal to those of Whites, they could be kept separate. Of course, facilities were never equal to those of Whites as was shown when Plessy had to ride with the freight. Facilities continued to deteriorate for Blacks as time went on and to deteriorate from a freight car shows just how bad it could get. The ruling pretty much endorsed Jim Crow and made things worse. Plessy v Ferguson was overturned in 1956 with Brown v The Board of Education in Topeka, Kansas, which stated that "separate but equal" is NOT equal because separation isn't equal.

No, I disagree whole-heartedly with Plessy v Ferguson. In fact, I would venture to say that that ruling is at the root of many problems we have today. Integration would have happened much earlier had the Court not ruled in favor of Ferguson and had not waited so long to overturn the ruling.

Plessey v Ferguson was the case that brought about the 'separate but equal' doctrine. The idea that blacks and whites could be segregated, and that this was not a violation of the rights of blacks so long as they had 'separate but equal' facilities.

From a modern perspective, we see just segregation itself as a violation of the rights of minorities. But up until just a relatively few years ago, that's how it was. In the South and even the Midwest and Northwest, blacks had their own neighborhoods, their own stores and parks and movie theaters, their own churches, etc. etc. Before the mid-1960s cities actually had laws about what color of people could live in what neighborhoods!

But even if you see this as okay, 'separate but equal' facilities were seldom really equal, or anywhere near it. Schools in black neighborhoods were falling down, cities spent half the money on them per student as they did on white schools. Parks and streets in black neighborhoods were not maintained nearly as well. Blacks had their own colleges, which were chronically underfunded.

So in the 1950s the case Brown vs Board of Education reversed this doctrine. Segregation was a violation of civil rights, and that's how we see it today. Black kids don't just have a right to as good a school as white kids, they have a right to the -same- school. Blacks have a right to live in whatever neighborhood they can afford to. And to get into the same colleges.

It's a landmark Supreme Court case in which it was ruled that "separate but equal" facilities for blacks and whites were constitutional. And of course, I disagree with the ruling. Also, the facilities were not only separate, but they were definitely unequal!

An Unconstitutional decision, overturned in 1954.

I don't remember a lot about it, but I know that I would be awfully racist if I agreed with it.