What are some side dishes that I can make with a pot roast for dinner tonight?

I'm cooking for 6-7 people and I need easy and fast dishes that go a long way. Oh and I have a big bag of broccoli and big bag of corn if anyone knows something different to do with those, but any suggestions appreciated!!!

Best Answer

Yorkshire Pudding is a favorite around here with pot roast. In case you aren't familiar with that dish, it's definitely NOT a "pudding" in the American sense of the word. It's really one big popover baked in a square pan (instead of muffin pans like popovers) using some of the juice from the pot roast. It's super simple and very tasty and elegant. The batter puffs up and gets really gorgeously golden brown. Here is my recipe:

3/4 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

3 eggs

3/4 cup milk

1/2 cup pan drippings from roast prime rib of beef (or whatever roast you're cooking)

Directions

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.

Sift together the flour and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, beat together the eggs and milk until light and foamy. Stir in the dry ingredients just until incorporated. Pour the drippings into a 9-inch pie pan, cast iron skillet, or square baking dish. Put the pan in oven and get the drippings smoking hot. Carefully take the pan out of the oven and pour in the batter. Put the pan back in oven and cook until puffed and dry, 15 to 20 minutes.

Remove from oven and cut into serving pieces.

Also, for your corn and broccoli........I'd fore go the corn and steam the broccoli then pour browned butter over it, and sprinkle with sliced almonds. Classic.

Best of luck. I know you'll do great!

For something different fold the cooked corn into mashed potato and spoon out as a nice round hill shape. A small bowl or container can be used as a mould. Make a crater in the middle and add a couple of butter balls.

A cheesy broccoli could be another side, and reserve the gravy to spread over the meat.

I would do roasted potatoes. I use the red potatoes. cut them into pieces a little bigger than bite size and put them into a ziploc bag pour in some olive oil and seasonings. I like garlic, onion, rosemary and thyme but you can you any kind you like and shake until potatoes are well coated. Spread them on a cookie sheet and put them in a hot oven at 450 and roast them about 30 min or until cooked through, golden brown and tender. You can put them in the oven with the roast if you have room but they will take a little longer at a lower temp. The potatoes look really good plated around the roast or piled high on a platter. This is a big crowd pleaser at my house and its something you can leave alone in the oven while you are doing other things.

Source(s): make these all the time

broccoli & corn casserole

Yield

8 Servings

Measure Ingredient

2 tablespoons Chopped onion

2 tablespoons Margarine

1 tablespoon Flour

1¼ cup Milk

1 pack (8-oz) Monterey Jack cheese; shredded

1 can (12-oz) whole kernel corn; drained

½ cup Cracker crumbs

2 packs (10-oz) frozen broccoli spears; cooked & drained

Saute onion in 1 Tbs margarine. Blend in flour. Gradually add milk & cook, stirring constantly until thickened. Add cheese, stirring until melted. Stir in corn & 1/4 cup crumbs. Arrange broccoli in a 11-3/4x7-1/2 inch baking dish. Pour cheese sauce over broccoli. Toss remaining crumbs & margarine then sprinkle over casserole. Bake uncovered at 350 for 30 minutes. Makes 8 servings.

If you want to go to the grocery store and pick up 2 cans of whole green beans and 2 packs of bacon....this is always a favorite.

Open and drain the cans of green beans. Dump into a large bowl.

Open the room temp bacon and cut in half.

Take a piece of bacon and place approx 3 to 4 green beans then roll up.

Secure with tooth pick. (not necessary) Bake 425 til bacon is cook. Approx 15 mins.

Happy wrapping~

If you're serving pot roast then you'll have lots of gravy from the juices of the roast. So, for sure, you should have rice or mashed potatoes to serve with the gravy.

steamed veggies.

broccoli and corn are delicious steamed together. with some carrots too.

Or you could slice up potatoes add corn n broccoli with mushroom soup as a caserole

I had pot roast for Sunday's dinner and served it with grilled asparagus....with a shallot/lemon sauce and some rice....................we had lemon tarts for dessert and some white Zinfandel

• yogiT

mashed potatoes / gravy

glazed steamed carrots

broccoli salad

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Broccoli-Salad-2/Deta...

corn and mashed potatoes...or u can make shepherd's pie...beef, mashed potatoes, corn and gravy all baked together...yum yum yum