Trying to Go Green-what can I recycle? And other tips.?

I just read a book about what can happen to the planet if we continue to live how we are. It really makes you think. So, I want to go green, and do what I can to help keep the planet clean.

Mainly, I'm concerned with WHAT I can recycle. I buy diapers in the big boxes that have been printed on. Pizza carryout boxes, beer cases, what about those shiny glossy ads that come with your newspaper? I heard somewhere that those can't be recycled. Anyone know if I can recycle everything I just listed?

And do you have other tips for me? I know about unplugging electronics and replacing light bulbs. Any tips would be helpful.

Favorite Answer

Going green is easy, there are so many great resources about the subject. My personal favorite is "The Green Book" which has parts of its book online as well at www.readthegreenbook.com.

As I have been striving to "Go Green" I realize it is like stepping back in time without getting rid of my modern conveniences. I'm doing many things I learned as a child, like line drying my clothes, sweeping instead of vacuuming, opening the windows in the morning to catch the cool breeze, only buying what I need instead of everything that looks cool, growing some of my own food, and canning what I can't eat now.

To me "going Green" is a frame of mind. Do what fits your lifestyle and do the easy things first, it is a process and like dieting if you go to radical to soon, you are more likely to go back to bad habits. I also believe there are good, better, best choices in most things. If you aren't ready to start a home garden, then try finding a farmers market, until you locate one look for produce grown as close to home as possible and go organic when available.

Many people think "going green" is expensive, I disagree. Some changes may take an initial investment, but they usually have a short payoff time. Things like weatherstiping and insulation cost, but the energy savings will add up quickly. You may need to purchase reusable bags, but most stores give you a 5 or 10 cent credit, so you are paid back within a few months.

My top tips are make your home more energy efficient, that also means using natural light, cooling and heating.

Reduce your packaging, if you eat more fresh food you will generally reduce packaging, it's the same thing they tell dieters, shop the perimiter, that is where all the meat, dairy and produce are located. Only buy what you will use, many Americans throw away a lot of unused food. Buy in bulk, that doesn't just mean large packages, but that area with the bins that you buy only what you plan on using.

Replace disposable items with durable items, if you eat outside often and use disposable paper or plastic plates, it is a wise investment to purchase a set of reusable plastic plates. Replace disposable razors, diapers and cleaning products like swiffer. Avoid bottled water, get a home filter like Pur or Brita.

Recycle, www.earth911.org will help you locate the nearest recycle center. I try to only purchase plastics that are #1 or #2, they are more easily recycled. I also buy recycled products when available, that includes paper towels, napkings, toilet paper, tissue, school/office supplies and clothing.

Detox your cleaning, vinegar and baking soda clean almost anything, they can even losen a hair clog. Seventh Generation and Method are a couple mainstream brands that are very earth friendly.

Just start small and build from there, don't get overwhelmed.

Here is a list of recyclable items and I've also included an article link the discusses the Green Movement and how we can do our part.

The Article is: The Green Movement's impact on Environmental Problems

http://www.newthoughtgeneration.com/2009/04/fix-en...

Recyclable Items List:

* Aerosol cans

(completely empty)

* Aluminum cans

* Aluminum foil, clean

* Beverage cans

* Brochures

* Cardboard Cereal boxes

(remove lining)

* Computer paper

* Coupons

* Cardboard Egg cartons

* Food cans

* Glass bottles and jars

* Glass cosmetic bottles

* Laundry bottles

(remove caps and lids)

* Ledger paper

* Magazines

* Newspaper

* Paper

* Paper tubes

* Phone books

* Plastic bottles

* Tin cans

* Tissue boxes

* Used envelopes

* Wrapping paper

* Junk mail

• go to your city's waste management page.

it will tell you where to get recycling bins, and what you can recycle.

thanks for helping the earth!!!

well Bottles from your house or school, papers, and energy by turning off lights.

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR QUEST FOR GOING GREEN