What food should you not eat to avoid getting diverticulitis after you have allready had it?

My mom has had diverticulitis and the doctor told her that it's always inside of her its never really goes away so she has had it twice now and she wants to know what foods she can't eat to avoid getting it again.

Favorite Answer

Anything with seeds nooo goood. it will get stuck in the pockets of her colon.

1) All the junk food such as burgers, pizzas, fried food and spicy food should be avoided.

2) Refined foods like white flour, white rice etc.

3) All the processed foods.

4) Corn and corn products.

5) Nuts

6) Sesame seeds

7) Pumpkin

Foods To Eat With Diverticulitis

What is diverticulitis?

Diverticulitis happens when pouches (diverticula) form in the wall of the colon and then get inflamed or infected.

What causes diverticulitis?

Doctors aren't sure what causes diverticulitis. But they think that a low-fiber diet may play a role. Without fiber to add bulk to the stool, the colon has to work harder than normal to push the stool forward. The pressure from this may cause pouches to form in weak spots along the colon.

Diverticulitis happens when bacteria get trapped in the pouches. This can lead to inflammation or infection.

How can you prevent diverticulitis?

You may be able to prevent diverticulitis if you drink plenty of water, get regular exercise, and eat a high-fiber diet. A high-fiber diet includes whole grains, fresh fruits, and vegetables.

I've also heard that you shouldn't eat things that are hard to digest like nuts.

Your mom had diverticulitis because she has diverticulosis. I think there was some miscommunication or misunderstanding somewhere. Diverticulitis is an active inflammation and it CAN be resolved. I suggest that your mom research diverticulosis online so that she may better understand her condition and how to manage it effectively. It may have come about due to a diet too low in fiber. About 80% or so of people with diverticulosis never develop the inflammation, diverticulitis.

I'm going to start you off with 3 links for your mother to look at. The last is about diet, what to eat and what to avoid.

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/tc/divert...

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/diverticu...

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?art...

Source(s): I'm a nurse.
  • Silk

My father has the same thing. The doctor told him to avoid things that the body does not digest well. These things may get stuck in the "pockets" in the colon and cause an infection.

Avoid corn, popcorn, seeds, and nuts. Things like tomatoes are alright if you are sure to remove all the seeds. Peanut butter is fine if it is NOT the crunchy kind because the peanuts are ground up.

Good luck, hope this helps.

I've had Diverticulitis for years, with occasional flare ups of diverticulosis (inflamed diverticula). My doctor would always give me about $100 of antibiotics. One time when she was on vacation, I was seen by another doctor who was seeing her patients. He refused to give me antibiotics, but told me to take psyllium fiber, such as Metamucil. My symptoms soon ended. Now, with a regimen of a daily heaping teaspoon of Metamucil in water, and avoiding nuts, corn, etc, I have been trouble free for years.

• SC mom

Sorry, I do not have an answer for you. I was just diagnosed with diverticulitis last Friday. Perhaps you can answer a question for me. I have been on two different antibiotics since last Friday. When can I expect to feel better?

Sorry to answer a question with a question, I have posted my question twice and nobody has answered.

• Tuffy

Anything that doesn't digest like corn, popcorn, nuts, seeds, etc.