Is there a law stating that an employer cannot force you to change the colour of your hair?

I work in Morrison's I am 18 years old. My hair is short, and deep Burgundy (Very dark red). My employers have told me to re-dye my hair, and if failing to do so they make us wear caps. I work at the checkouts and the flap of the cap makes it difficult for me to see customers faces, resulting in a sore neck from constantly having to look up.

My employer gives (not just me) but loads of us a hard time about hair colour. Because she obviously has nothing else better to do! However she says it's because hair colour may offend a customer. And yet I've never had a complaint about my hair before in my life, which means they are at it!

I was wondering if there was a law, or a human rights act around that could maybe state that I do not have to change my appearance just to allow me to continue my job! I've never before had a complaint, but have been blessed with several customer compliments, which my managers seem to have ignored. All I want to do is my job without fear of verbal abuse just because of my hair colour! Can anyone help me?

Thank you for your feedback! I now understand that maybe I over - reacted because I was upset. It's just I've worked there for over a year, and they've only just recently seemed to care so much about hair colour. So I got annoyed and angry that this was an - all - of - a - sudden change!

However I shall have to wait till I get paid before I can strip my hair as the dyes permanant! But maybe if I explain this to work, they'll understand, but the hat gives me a dreadfully sore neck and makes me feel dizzy from constantly having to move my head to see customers faces from under the flap!

And I thank all of you who were polite in your answers and understand that I'm just a teenager, with this being my first job!

Best Answer

No, there's not. Employers have a vested interest in the appearance of their employees and have the rights to reasonable rules for personal appearance. They are within their rights to ask you to wear a more "normal" color. If your hair was naturally that color, that would be different, but it's not, so it's not.

Employers cannot force any employee to change their hair color, but they could implement a dress code which is what this employer seemed to do. That is not against the law. In other words, if you do sue, you wouldn't win because they aren't forcing you to change your hair color. They are simply giving you a choice between hair color or dress code.

Your employer has every right to impose this rule. You are fortunate they have not demanded that you change it or fire you. Instead, they offer an alternative, you can wear a hat. Heck, you are fortunate to have a job in this economy!!!!

This is the real world (and I'm not talking MTV) Buck up or find another job.

You have an alternative to coloring your hair - wearing the hat.

Be an adult and make your choice.

When you work at a store, you represent that company. They do not want people with hair colors only found in a Crayola box. They have been kind enough to offer you an alternative to coloring your hair back to something found in nature.

Verbal abuse? GROW UP! You really need to get your priorities straight.

.

.

Why not contact the ACLU www.aclu.org and ask them. This sounds like some bullshit to me. I live in Ireland and you can tell your employer that her comments have just offended a whole country of people. I've never heard of something so stupid as red hair might offend some people, this is Political correctness gone mad or else your boss has gone mad with power

cannot force you to change your hair color or just make you wear a hat but she can make it part of the uniform where all the workers their got to wear a cap then of course you got to other then that she can't do any thing

You can always accept the fact that you could be fired for not promoting the company's policies on proper workplace attire, etc..

If your hair color is "Unnatural", they can force you to change it, or cover it to keep your job.