contact me asked in SportsWrestling · 1 decade ago

can you give me tips on how to become sumo wrestler?

I am fat, but not very fat.I am truly fed up of weight loss programs after trying a lot. so I thought why not become a sumo wrestler. can you give me tips.

http://www.healthmad.com/Weight-Loss/Fat-Loss-Reli...

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

You must have very fat legs!!!!

The winner of a sumo bout is either:

1.The first wrestler to force his opponent to step out of the ring.

2.The first wrestler to force his opponent to touch the ground with any part of his body other than the bottom of his feet.

There are also a number of other rarely used rules that can be used to determine the winner. For example a wrestler using an illegal technique (or kinjite) automatically loses, as does one whose mawashi (or belt) becomes completely undone. A wrestler failing to turn up for his bout (including through a prior injury) also automatically loses (fusenpai). After the winner is declared, an off-stage gyoji (or referee) determines the kimarite (or winning technique) used in the bout, which is then announced to the audience.

Matches often last only a few seconds, as usually one wrestler is quickly ousted from the circle or thrown to the ground. However, they can occasionally last for several minutes. Each match is preceded by an elaborate ceremonial ritual. The wrestlers themselves are renowned for their great girth, as body mass is often a winning factor in sumo, though with skill, smaller wrestlers can topple far larger opponents.

There are six divisions in sumo: makuuchi (fixed at 42 wrestlers), jūryō (fixed at 28 wrestlers), makushita (fixed at 120 wrestlers), sandanme (fixed at 200 wrestlers), jonidan (approximately 230 wrestlers), and jonokuchi (approximately 80 wrestlers). Wrestlers enter sumo in the lowest jonokuchi division and, ability permitting, work their way up to the top division. Wrestlers in the top two divisions are known as sekitori, while lower division wrestlers are generally referred to by the generic term for wrestlers, rikishi.

The topmost makuuchi division receives the most attention from fans and has the most complex hierarchy. The majority of wrestlers are maegashira and are numbered from one (at the top) down to about sixteen or seventeen. Above the maegashira are the three champion or titleholder ranks, called the sanyaku. These are, in ascending order, komusubi, sekiwake, and ōzeki. At the pinnacle of the ranking system is the rank of yokozuna.

Yokozuna, or grand champions, are generally expected to be regularly in competition to win the top division tournament title. Hence the promotion criteria for yokozuna are very strict. In general, an ōzeki must win the championship for two consecutive tournaments or an "equivalent performance" to be considered for promotion to yokozuna.[4]

Exhibition competitions are held at regular intervals every year in Japan, and approximately once every two years the top ranked wrestlers visit a foreign country for such exhibitions. None of these displays are taken into account in determining a wrestler's future rank. Rank is determined only by performance in Grand Sumo Tournaments (or honbasho), which are described in more detail below.

As of 2006, the monthly salary figures for makuuchi (in Japanese Yen) were:[15]

Yokozuna Asashoryu performing the distinctive dohyō-iri of his rankyokozuna: 2,820,000 or about $24,500 USD

ōzeki: 2,347,000 or about $20,400 USD

sanyaku: 1,693,000 or about $14,800 USD

maegashira: 1,309,000 or about $11,300 USD

jūryō: 1,036,000 or about $9,000 USD

• 1 decade ago

Eat lots of Wendys

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Get really, really fat and develop leg & arm strength

• 1 decade ago

you could try to get.........nevermind

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.