Legs
Legs asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 1 decade ago

High calorie vegan foods?

My girlfriend and I are vegans but she's run into a problem. She's naturally very thin with a ridiculously fast metabolism. She's 5'10" and 120 pounds at her normal weight. But she eats quite a bit, always has. She's only been vegan a couple months, and while she literally eats twice as much as I do, she's still losing weight.

She has no interest in abandoning a vegan diet. We have all kinds of junk foods around here that she snacks on but our main meals are usually healthier fare, lots of green veggies and tomatoes, whole grain foods; very balanced in protein, carbs and fats.

Can you give me your favorite indulgences? I need to fatten her up a bit.

Favorite Answer

OK, anything with nuts is going to be high calorie. And you can make or buy lots of different nut butters - slap them on thick!

Tempeh is delicious and healthy and like the aubergine already mentioned is extremely porous, so if you fry it in lots of oil it will slurp it up (and become very crispy and delicious). Lots of olive oil is healthy and calorifically dense, enjoy plenty of rich mediterranean salads and veggies dripping in healthy unsaturated oils.

Most vegan meat and dairy replacement foods are high in fat and therefore high calorie, but many are hydrogenated trans fats and not very healthy - far better to get your calories from vegetable sources in their natural state. But as a treat why not? Vegan desserts and ice-creams are loaded with calories and some taste amazingly creamy!

Avocado and coconut are specially high in natural vegetable fat, also starchy fruit and veg like bananas and potatoes will help with weight gain. Look for ways to healthily up the calorie load in foods you are eating anyway, like a sprinkle of ground flax seeds on cereal etc.

Remember a certain amount of weight loss is probably inevitable in transitioning to a vegan diet, and it's early days for her - I am sure the weight will stabilise soon.

• mcdow

High Calorie Vegan Foods

I try to take in ground flax, a little almond butter, all kinds of beans, humous as a previous poster recommended, and potatoes. And yes, stay away from the junk!

Working out on your legs, back and chest will also help build muscle while increasing the appetite. Start off the day with fruit for energy, and 15 minutes later have a whole grain (short grain brown rice, barley, whole grain oats, etc) followed by some almonds. Following a workout, load up on fruit which add in the recovery and provide the body with nutrients. I also try and have a green juice daily to help deliver nutrients and detoxing components.

Most plant based diet thought leaders/doctors recommend staying away from oils all together. However, if I was going to choose an oil it would be coconut (medium chain amino acids), and I would only ingest it on days when I was working out…it will get used up. If you're just laying around then it's not a good idea. The number one killer in this country is heart disease; mainly due to Americans' intake of animal products and byproducts; oils also contribute. Check out Forks Over Knives if you haven't already.

Back in the day, the classic Mediterranean diet worked, because the people were active and they ate tons of fresh veggies; fish was a delicacy on most occasions. Meat was never a staple food, so the little oil they ate wasn't an issue. But today, they eat like most Americans!

Start counting calories: make sure you're getting at least 800 calories at eat main meal. The snacking meals which are usually fruit are definitely going to help with the wait. Especially if you do proper food combining (eat fruit alone and wait 15 minutes before eating other foods). Be consistent with taking in the proper calories. I eat Sunshine Burgers quite a bit…one of the only processed foods I consume. One, because they are high in calories, but two, because they only have three main ingredients: Brown Rice, Sunflower Seeds and Carrots. I throw one on top of brown rice, add some beans, veggies, sauerkraut, ground flaxseed and I'm good to go. Follow up with some almonds and you're loading up on 800-1000 calories!

High Calorie Vegetarian Foods

Sure thing.

Step 1: Add extra calories to your healthy food in the form of doubling her current portions. This is a trick for people who have a hard time gaining. Have her eat double what she normally would. On top of this, make the meals more calorie-filled with extra oil. You can add oil to anything, even shakes, and it won't leave a weird flavor. As some suggested, slather on nut butters or hummus onto anything. Use high-fat dips for fresh veggies, extra nut butters with fruits, things like that.

Step 2: Try to get her into weight lifting. Give her body a reason to hold onto the calories (help put on some nice muscle). No, she won't get bulky. This also prevents her gain from being indiscriminate fat.

That's pretty much it. It's the same advice for any other "hard gainer."

Source(s): vegan bodybuilder and personal trainer

I don't know about you, but I can devour a lot of hummus in one sitting. I would suggest making your own hummus (with a potato masher if you don't have a food processor) and add in plenty of tahini and olive oil.

I wouldn't worry about her too much. I weigh 122 lb and I am 5 ft 9 in. Being skinny is actually really good for you in the long run. Be sure not to add in too much junk food because that won't help anything. You two should work out together. If she is going to start consuming excess calories, she should do some strength training exercises so the calories go to building lean muscle rather than fat. There are tons of books and videos at the library if you need ideas of what kind of exercises to do.

good luck!

Source(s): I am studying to be a nutritionist.

I agree with the first answerer - baba ganoush!

Also peanut butter! It's high in protein and ridiculously high in calories. Peanut butter on a piece of wholemeal bread actually has all the protein amino acids.

For unhealthy but delicious indulgence try Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. Such a good book, and the pictures are mouthwatering. But most importantly the cupcakes taste fantastic. Another indulgence is soy ice cream - my favorite brands are So Delicious and Purely Decadent

http://www.turtlemountain.com/products/products.ht...

Also eat tons of pasta - TONS. A medium amount of pasta won't do anything - she needs HUGE bowls.

Best vegan dish ever; baba ganoush

grill some thin sliced eggplants [or fry 'em in loads of oil to max your calories]. Then put it in the food processor with a spoonful of tahina [sesame-seed paste], some garlic, salt and pepper and finally, slowly add a lot of good olive-oil.

It tastes like heaven, got all the vitamins from the eggplant, and is a calorie-bomb. Enjoy!

• Loading up on junk is not the way to go for weight gain! Adding more healthy fats to her diet will add healthy calories. Some foods that will help with this are healthy oils, like olive, canola, or flax oil, coconut oil, nuts (i.e. cashews, peanuts, almonds, brasilnuts, hazelnuts), seeds (i.e. sunflower, pumpkin, ground flax, ground hemp), or nut butters (peanut butter, almond butter). Some more calorie dense fruits are avocados, bananas, and coconut. You can also make foods with full fat coconut milk, like smoothies or sauces, which will add more good calories.

Brown rice = about 150 calories per small serving whole wheat pasta = 200 calories per bowl --- check on the back since some pastas are loaded with protein as well. oatmeal / oat bran (LOTS of protein + cals)... I used to eat oat bran everyday when I was extremely low on money. Potatoes of any kind (especially sweet potatoes)

For the best answers, search on this site https://smarturl.im/aDIfc