What is the difference between gray and grey?

Beside the spelling. Is my hair getting streaks of gray or streaks of grey?

Favorite Answer

Never thought to ask, but I always wonder too! I just go between the two spellings to not show any favoritism.

• janet

You got me curious so I check out a website called "the dictionary.com"

When you type in grey, it tells you to see "gray" for the correct orthography. So, looked up orthography and that definition is "the art of correctly spelled words" or something similar to that (not an exact quote). So, according to them "grey" is incorrect. By the way, I am in the US.

Fun question! Have a star.

• Janet

Grey and gray are just different spellings for the same word. Both are correct. Color is more commonly used by Americans, and colour is how they spell it in the U.K.

Grey is the proper spelling of the colour(not color) and Gray is a surname.

• Beulah

I asked a teacher at school this years ago. Was told grey was the colour. Gray was a surname.

Beulah.

Cars in England have four tyres and in the United States they have four tires. Do old men in England have Grey hair and old men in the United States have Gray hair ? HA, I don't have either one and I am sixty-eight. If I thought that at eighty-eight I might have either gray or grey hair I would stick around to just see what hair would look like again on my head.

Source(s): Texan
  • Lynn

Someone from England asked me this last week. We both agreed

to his definition, but I can't remember what he said about the first

spelling you used. We both agreed that "grey' was the color, though.

I have noted that when they refer to a 'gray' whale, it is spelled that

way, rather than with an 'e' as the vowel. So this is an interesting

question. And you get a star!

“Gray” is the American spelling, “grey” the British spelling of this color/colour. When it’s part of a British name—like Tarzan’s title, “Lord Greystoke”—or part of a place name—like “Greyfriars”—it should retain its original spelling even if an American is doing the writing.

List of errors

Gray is someones name, and grey is a colour.

Gray is the same as grey. They are different variants of the same word. Similar to words like flavour and flavor, colour and color.

Depending on where you are located, one might be more accepted than another - but they are the same words with identical meanings.