Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Can you shave any type of dog?

I own a husky lab mix and she has massive fur and sheds alot, I live in Phoenix Arizona and it is really hot and is the summer right now, my mom needs proof that it wont kill my dog to shave her. People with experience please answer. Thank you

Favorite Answer

Bonzie12 says the coat will not grow back in correctly... that's crap we have a chow-chow siberian husky mix and lemme tell you he has one thick coat! We get him groomed every two weeks during the summer (live in SE Texas) and let it alone the rest of the year.

Now I lived in Mesa, Arizona over 17 years and right now is so NOT summer Darlin! It is only April. My parents still live there.

Now... 'BYB's stole my avatar' hit it right on!

Siberian Huskies and Labradors are double coated breeds and that outer layer helps protect them from the heat. Shaving them can actually make them overheat *quicker*.

Instead of shaving her, get a furminator and groom her daily. Also buy a kiddie pool that she can lay in when outside. She should also be kept indoors, in temperature controlled areas, during the hottest parts of the day (11-4). Be sure she has fresh water available at ALL times and don't exercise her during the heat of the day.

• ?

I'm not sure about the husky part of your dog but as for the lab...

You never shave a Lab for maintenance. NO! NO! NO! NO! The ONLY reason to shave anything on a Lab is:

For Surgery

For a Hot Spot

If you dog is having surgery, let the vet shave the area that needs to be shaved. If you see a hot spot, then yes you need to shave the area where the hot spot is to keep it from spreading. Shaving a Lab for routine maintenance is just WRONG.

Some people feel they must shave their Lab because all that hair must make the dog hot. WRONG. The undercoat actually keeps the dog cooler.

Some people feel if they shave their Lab they can keep the dog from shedding. WRONG. The dog will still shed. Shedding is natural for a Lab. What it will do is instead of shedding normal undercoat which is fluffy and soft, the dog will shed short, prickly hairs which will poke your skin if you make contact. Short, prickly hairs hurt.

Please don't shave your Lab. Groom it thoroughly instead. Your dog will thank you. Besides, your dog won't be the laughing stock of the neighborhood either.

Don't be lazy. spend the time to brush your dog daily and the shedding won't be so bad.

can you? Yes. Should you? Not necessarily. A dog's coat protects them from the cold and the heat. Shaving her will not stop her from shedding, it will actually make it worse as the shed hair will now be smaller. Take your dog into to be cut down minimally if you must, but not completely shaved down as you put the dog at risk for sunburn and heat stroke. Shaving a dog can damage the guard hairs of the coat over time.

To deal with the shedding, get a grooming tool like the furminator, and feed her a better quality of kibble.

I used to live in vegas and my cousin had a husky. Cherokee managed to survive the summers just fine but then he was an inside dog and when he was out he had a good spot out of the sun and plenty of water.

You NEVER absolutely NEVER shave off a Husky's coat as it will never grow back as it should. You will be asking for trouble by doing it as it can affect her skin as well My friends had theirs shaved because of the heat and the shedding, they were really fluffy. They were pretty funny looking because they didn't have their heads done. The dogs look great now, they also look healthier.

I would take yours to a groomer, they have all the right tools and wont hurt her. Consult a dog groomer to see if it's a good idea.

Sure, I guess you can shave any type of dog, but that doesn't mean you should.

Please do not shave your husky mix. Huskies have a a coat type where the outer layer is like an air conditioner and can help protect against sunburn as well. You would only harm her making more hot by shaving her.

If you are concerned about her over heating make sure she has water readily available and find a wire brush to get the undercoat out.

Source(s): work in a vet clinic

Shaving a dog with a double coat is not recommended. The fur will not grow back in correctly and the fur also helps to keep them cool in the summer and warm in the winter. I would not recommend shaving your dog.

Cant you just Trim it? what i do is just get the buzzer and cut it a little shorter not shave it. then i give her a bath so all the hair is loose then i comb all the hair out for like 30 min. it snowed a couple of days ago here in Flagstaff and now its hot again. Flagstaff is so Bipolar

Source(s): dog owner

Not by any groomer with a brain- you never shave an Akita.

it won't kill a dog to shave it,but you don't have to shave him,you can give him a good trim