Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 1 decade ago

Chances to get into Berklee College of Music on flute?

Hi. Well, I've been playing flute since 4th grade, piano since 1st grade, and singing all of my life. I didn't get very serious until middle school. On piccolo, I made my regional band and orchestra this year. I've done marching band and concert band, and my district band. I've played concerts with Johan de Meij and Colonel Arnold Gabrie, both times the piccolo player. I've played in my school's jazz band usually on piano, but lately on flute. I study with a private teachers separately for piano or flute. I only sing for fun and take vocal classes and am in my school's vocal groups, but that's just for fun. :] I learned how to play marimba this year too, and am picking it up fairly quickly. I'm an As and Bs student [Bs in math and science. D; What can I say? I'm not a fan of that]. I'm in the top ten percent of my class, and very active in my school's music department.

Anyway, I was wondering how my chances were to get into Berklee. I'm hoping to go for Music Therapy and Music Education. :] I've looked online for anyone asking for questions like me, but not many were asking for flute and for Music Therapy/Music Education. Any tips to help me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Theory-wise I'm okay. I know basic theory, and have yet to take a theory class because of my school schedule. I'm probably going to take theory in my senior year since I can't next yrear, and I'm currently a sophomore.

Favorite Answer

berklee looks for people that are creative, and that stand out. . .

It seems like you probably have the music skills necessary as well, so as long as you have those two things i mentioned, your chances of getting in are high. :)

Source(s): i recently got accepted to berklee

Well, it seems like you are doing well in school and have musical talent. Berklee College of Music looks for people who are great players. Basically most of everything you said in your question will probably be glanced at or not even considered by the Admissions Board because mainly what they are looking for is someone who blows them away at an audition. I can't stress how the musical talent and auditions goes.

Berklee only accepts people with great auditions. They do this because while at Berklee, 90% of your classes are music, and most are theory or of you performing in a lab, ensemble, or lesson.

Don't get me wrong, it's great that you are active in your music programs at school and this is a great way to improve and get better and is great for your resume. That information may come in handy, for an appeal (if you are denied and want your application re-looked at.)

But practice, have a great audition, play to the best of your ability you will do good. If you REALLY want to get in, go with FLUTE. Berklee has a lot of vocalists already and they really don't get special attention cuz if you are a good singer you are denied but a good flutiest (we need more of those) you will def. get in and have a better chance of scholarship. And the majors you want to major in are great majors!

Source(s): I work in the Admissions Office at Berklee College of Music, and currently am enrolled.

The stats are about a 35% acceptance rate, so 1/3 people who audition get in. A new entering class is probably around 1,000 students. If you have done alot with music and are pretty good, you have a good chance, should be fine.