Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

What was the name of the lawsuit filed against Stanford University...?

where they chose an african american for admission because they needed to fill a quota? They were sued by a student who had nearly perfect credentials, and ended up winning, because Stanford said during the trial that they chose the man only because they needed an african american.

What's the name of the case?

Update:

i don't want this to be a forum for the politics of affirmative action.

Update 2:

OKAY, I'M NOT GOING TO SAY THIS AGAIN. THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR THE POLITICS OF AFFIRMATIVE ACTION.

Update 3:

no, i didn't mean uc v. bakke, but that is a good case and will help with my paper. thanks :D

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Its called affirmative action and needs to be abolished. Let me see if I can find that for you.

Perhaps you mean USC vs Bakke. ( link below)

Below is a link to the same type or scenario and action at Universtity of Michigan, Gratz v. Bollinger.

Stanford President John Hennessy last week made a strong statement underscoring the university's continued commitment to affirmative action, a sentiment unanimously endorsed by the university's Faculty Senate.

Regents of the University of California v. Bakke, 438 U.S. 265 (1978) was a landmark decision of the Supreme Court of the United States on affirmative action. It bars quota systems in college admissions but affirms the constitutionality of affirmative action programs giving equal access to minorities.

Regents of the University of California v. Bakke, 438 U.S. 265 (1978) was a landmark decision of the Supreme Court of the United States on affirmative action. It bars quota systems in college admissions but affirms the constitutionality of affirmative action programs giving equal access to minorities.

Regents of the University of California v. Bakke

Supreme Court of the United States

Argued October 8, 1977

Decided June 28, 1978

Full case name Regents of the University of California v. Allan Bakke

Citations 438 U.S. 265 (more)

98 S. Ct. 2733; 57 L. Ed. 2d 750; 1978 U.S. LEXIS 5; 17 Fair Empl. Prac. Cas. (BNA) 1000; 17 Empl. Prac. Dec. (CCH) P8402

Prior history Certiorari to the Supreme Court of California. Bakke v. Regents of University of Cal., 18 Cal. 3d 34, 132 Cal. Rptr. 680, 553 P.2d 1152, 1976 Cal. LEXIS 336 (1976)

Holding

The Court held that while affirmative action systems are constitutional, a quota system based on race is unconstitutional.

Court membership

Chief Justice

Warren E. Burger

Associate Justices

William J. Brennan, Jr. · Potter Stewart

Byron White · Thurgood Marshall

Harry Blackmun · Lewis F. Powell, Jr.

William Rehnquist · John P. Stevens

Case opinions

Majority Powell (Parts I and V-C), joined by Brennan, White, Marshall, and Blackmun

Plurality Powell (Part III-A), joined by White

Concur/dissent Brennan, White, Marshall, Blackmun

Concur/dissent White

Concur/dissent Marshall

Concur/dissent Blackmun

Concur/dissent Stevens, joined by Burger, Stewart, Rehnquist

Laws applied

U.S. Const. amend. XIV

This box: view • talk

Regents of the University of California v. Bakke, 438 U.S. 265 (1978) was a landmark decision of the Supreme Court of the United States on affirmative action. It bars quota systems in college admissions but affirms the constitutionality of affirmative action programs giving equal access to minorities

Sorry all I could find for now not stanford lawsuit you refer too can't locate it , but I did locate similar instances and legisaltion and court rulings. listed above links below

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

that's in simple terms The Yankees For Yah! JK To Be straightforward i've got not got a million Clue Why They Did This! There must be greater info For This For Me to determine Why. My wager Is That The Yankees do no longer want a "Curse" like the single The purple Sox have been given From paying for and advertising Babe Ruth.

• 1 decade ago

Couldn't find anything about Stanford; do you mean the Regents of UC v. Bakke, the first reverse discrimination case?

• 1 decade ago

Bullshit, it should be because of his character as a true american who bore stripes for his country wheteher black, white or yellow....God help us all...

Source(s): Heritage...
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.