Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceQuotations · 1 decade ago

who said, "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."?

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything" said by.. who? that might not be the exact quote but it's something along those lines.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The exact origin of that quote (or something like it) is actually quite heavily disputed. Many people (including the Oxford Dictionary of Quotations) claim it was said first by Alexander Hamilton in 1978, ('Those who stand for nothing fall for anything') but in 1947, Peter Marshall, a chaplain, said '...because if we don't stand for something, we shall fall for anything'. Which is clearly an almost identical quote said much earlier. It has also been contributed to Ginger Rogers and Malcolm X used it as a proverb in one of his speeches.

I believe that it was Peter Marshall, but it is clearly a quote which is impossible to pin down definitively.

Source(s): Oxford Dictionary of Quotations, history lessons
  • 6 years ago

Brian, that was harsh. I think Hananiah was attributing it to Peter Marshall since the quote in question more closely resembles what he said than what Hamilton said. Perhaps you should re-read Hananiah's comments. In addition, don't be so judgmental in the future. You can disagree but also display a modicum of grace and kindness in the process.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 6 years ago

Brian, while you are correct about the Alexander Hamilton who was the financial genius during the founding of our nation, there was another man by the same name who was a journalist.....in 1978. I have read several accounts referring to this Hamilton regarding this quote.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

who said, "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."?

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything" said by.. who? that might not be the exact quote but it's something along those lines.

Source(s): quot don 39 stand 39 ll fall quot: https://shortly.im/x5DtL
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

It is easier to fall for anything than to stand for something.

1927 Sermonogram

• 6 years ago

I heard that on the TV show "Good Times" from Michael Evans (Ralph Carter).

• 5 years ago

Katy Perry...Roar

• 6 years ago

I think Hananiah probably just had a typo. Probably meant 1778. Easy to do. Thanks Hananiah for your post.

• Farah6 years agoReport

A different man named Alex Hamilton who was a British broadcaster used the saying in 1978.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

Malcom X

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.