What is the origin of the word "libtard?"?

I see it used all the time on YA. Who started this? I get the intended meaning but, frankly, I don't see it. It seems that "reptard" (obviously, republican + retard) would be a better play on words since it's a difference of only one letter between the two. Also, do you think any of the... show more I see it used all the time on YA. Who started this? I get the intended meaning but, frankly, I don't see it. It seems that "reptard" (obviously, republican + retard) would be a better play on words since it's a difference of only one letter between the two.

Also, do you think any of the people using this term the same people that slammed Pres. Obama for his poorly chosen phrase on Leno?
Update: Okay, thanks for the rants. I've been duly insulted but remain, as you conservatives would no doubt joyously point out, uneducated in this matter. I am beginning to think that cons and reptards don't know either but they blindly parrot the words of their leaders Limbaugh, Hannity, etc. What else could... show more Okay, thanks for the rants. I've been duly insulted but remain, as you conservatives would no doubt joyously point out, uneducated in this matter. I am beginning to think that cons and reptards don't know either but they blindly parrot the words of their leaders Limbaugh, Hannity, etc. What else could explain their apparent ignorance along with their nonsensical and hypocritical spewing of the word.
Update 2: forgot Savage. Thank you.