Is Janet Napolitano competent to head the Department of Homeland Security?

Update:

Here's Janet's take of enforcing illegal immigration laws. Somehow, Joe Arpaio is a problem, but people entering the country legally is not:

She said this on CNN over the weekend:

KING: A lot of Democrats in Congress want to you investigate [Joe Arpaio]. They think he is over the line. He says he is just enforcing the law and the problem is the federal government.

NAPOLITANO: Well, you know, Sheriff Joe, he is being very political in that statement, because he knows that there aren’t enough law enforcement officers, courtrooms or jail cells in the world to do what he is saying.

What we have to do is target the real evil-doers in this business, the employers who consistently hire illegal labor, the human traffickers who are exploiting human misery.

And yes, when we find illegal workers, yes, appropriate action, some of which is criminal, most of that is civil, because crossing the border is not a crime per se. It is civil. But anyway, going after those as well.

21 Answers

Relevance
  • ~
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

There are actually 2 answers:

1) NO

2) HELL NO

She is saying that the laws of the USA are optionally to be followed. "Crossing the border is not a crime per se?"

Section 8, Title 1325 of the U.S. code clearly states that those who enter the U.S. illegally are committing a crime.

When the top law enforcement officer in the nation doesn't even know the law, we are in SERIOUS trouble. The next set of "interpretations:"

Bank Robbery — underauthorized monetary withdrawal

Assault and Battery — failure to yield to pressure

Rape — underappreciated sexual stimulation

Source(s): The United States Constitution
  • Shane
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

No, but she is a far left loon who hates America, which qualifies her for a cabinet position in the Bizarro Obambi administration! Can you believe she said crossing into the USA illegally is not a crime? What a moron! She should be fired immediately and replaced with a manikin.The Obambi far left loons are out of touch with the average American when it comes to border security, and amnesty for illegal aliens.

Polls Show Washington Out-of-Touch with the American People on Amnesty, Border Security

Last Tuesday, Rasmussen Reports released polling data that demonstrates that the Washington political class remains hopelessly out-of-touch with the American people on immigration policy. In gauging whether it was "Very Important" for the government to improve America's border security and to reduce illegal immigration, 66% of likely voters nationwide agreed compared to just 32% of "America's Political Class." (Rasmussen, April 12, 2009). The American Political Class generally trusts politicians, not the American people; is highly representative of the government establishment; and doesn't view the federal government as self-interested. (Rasmussen, March 20, 2009).

Read the full article: http://www.fairus.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&...

• No. She failed as Arizona's governor ($2 billion budget hole that myself and other Arizonans get to pay for), she moved on to being a failure on a national stage. She's been sucking up to illegal aliens for years, so no surprises there. In the private sector you get one chance to prove the Peter Principle, I guess in government the opportunities are endless as long as you kiss the right butts.

By the way, Sheriff Joe is a shameless media hack. So any spats between Comrade Napolitano and Sheriff Joe is a fight between two losers.

• Phil M
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Yes. Look up the punishment for crossing the border illegally and you'll see how its a civil infraction more so than a criminal infraction until you become a repeat offender.

I agree we do not need the DHS, its just another bureaucracy.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Janet Napolitano has been a very competent governor, and is very knowledgable and capable with regards to border security and the issues that come from our porous borders. She has rationally approached the issue here in AZ, seeking employer enforcement and federal support of border security.

Meanwhile Sherriff Joe has sought publicity by seeking out persons here illegally, through illegal, or borderline-legal means. He is arresting persons who are not breaking any other laws and are positive contributors to our society and community. Meanwhile, because he has diverted so many sherrif resources to these "round ups" response time for a serious issue call is more than double the 5-minute standard. And the back log of issuing warrants (for things like child support efforcement) is actually criminal or tragic, serious crimes, including rapes and beatings are not investigated at all and, as a result, local towns are chosing to stop contracting with the County Sherrif's office for services. But, Joe has a show on the Fox Network......

• 1 decade ago

I live in Arizona and I can attest to the fact that Janet is not qualified to run anything.

She put the National Guard on the border but did not let them apprehend anyone. They had to phone the Border Patrol if they saw anything suspicious.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Joe Arpaio is a friend of my mother-in-laws. He is a great man and the people continue to vote for him year after year. Napolitano is a liberal wack job, who doesn't seem to get the meaning of the word illegal, and who needs to be voted out!

• bwlobo
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

There is a legitimate crusade to have Napolitano fired, dismissed... gone!! I'm wondering if the congress can do anything about her now that they have already approved her placement as head of DHS.

She has almost said words of treason against the American people. I would like to see her gone. If not that, then somehow diminish her power.

Source(s): bwlobo
  • 1 decade ago

Janet Napolitano lacks the intelligence to guard my left nut let alone be the head of Homeland Security. (read about the "feelings" issue http://boards.washingtoncaps.com/index.php?showtop...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

She is not competent to run the greeter position at the Mustang Ranch

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.