Do you think that the historical events our current elderly population witnessed altered their mental state?

I'm doing a research topic for school and I'm just curious on peoples opinion on the topic. With age many peoples mental status starts to go. Could this mental decay be slightly caused by all of the traumatic events they have had to witness? Do you think that the historical events such as The Cold War,... show more I'm doing a research topic for school and I'm just curious on peoples opinion on the topic. With age many peoples mental status starts to go. Could this mental decay be slightly caused by all of the traumatic events they have had to witness? Do you think that the historical events such as The Cold War, Vietnam War, The Great Depression, Cuban Missile Crisis, the assignations of a great president and the fall of the Twin Towers, our current elderly population witnessed altered their mental state?