Why is Charles Darwin not refered to as "Sir Charles Darwin"?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • J. J..
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Charles Darwin is not referred to as "Sir" as he was not knighted by the monarch and is, therefore not entitled to use it.

When deciding on who to knight not only must the nominee have done something notable but "usually" must also have a character that does not upset the status quo of the country or upset the citizens in general. Charles Darwin was such a controversial figure that there was "no way" that the monarch of the time could even have considered him for a knighthood.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

we call or refer somebody as SIR if s/he is knighted by the queen of england.

Unfortunately charles darwin was not knighted by the queen, si\o he is referred as sir charles darwin.

kushal_p007@hotmail.com

kushal_p007@yahoo.com

Source(s): my own knowledge
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

He isnot entitled o use it, he was not knighted. With regard to British knighthood, a person who is not a citizen of a Commonwealth realm who receives an honorary knighthood is entitled to use any postnominal letters associated with the knighthood, but not the title "Sir".

wikipedia.

• 1 decade ago

It just gets in the way of things. Nowadays, we use it to be snarky, like Sir Paul and Sir Elton

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

do you have some sort of bug mike system in my kitchen??

i asked myself this very question 2 days ago whilst doing dishes and just stumbled across this question thru a hyperlink..........

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.