.
. asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 1 decade ago

Traveling across the US with a 3 month old?

So we are going to be traveling (flying)with our almost 3 month old from Utah to Ohio in 2 days and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice? Also! I am having a total brain fart due to stress and I'm wondering if you could make a list of things I will need to take for her and/or my husband...

• Favorite Answer

I haven't traveled with my son by plane yet but i hear if you give them a bottle before take of and one before landing it helps with the ear popping good luck =)

Here's a good list for you to look at

http://www.babycenter.com/packing-checklist-for-tr...

You should have her drink a bottle asending and desending. It helps with the pressure in her ears. Your best bet is to pack a few diapers and buy some when you get to Ohio. You will want to bring her several changes of clothes, pack her wipes, baby Acetaminphen, baby wash and lotion,the stuff you use to take care of everyday. If you are bottlefeeding bring a full can of powdered formula and at least 3 bottles and of course your bottle brush. Fill at least 2 bottles with whatever water you make them with at home. (don't trust public water it may not hurt you but could at the very least give the baby diarreha) If she has a pacifier or some musical toy you put her to sleep with bring it. Double check (its been awhile) but you should be able to bring a pack n play. As far as you and hubby bring clothes, something to sleep in, jackets, deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrushes, hairbrush, shampoo (if your in a hotel its gross). Any meds. Ibuprophen or so other pain reliever in case you get a headache. Don't for get a jacket and blankets for the baby and socks. You can take her carseat too. Also a stroller. Just make sure you go online and read the rules regarding liquids, lighters, how many bags you can take etc. Read them first and then call the airline if you have questions. Good luck I may have forgotten things so start making a list and add to it when you think of it.

I took my 1 1/2 month old from Michigan to North Carolina to see her daddy off to Iraq and everything went fine! If you plan to fly with her stroller or carseat, I would DEFINITELY suggest checking the carseat! We have the carseat that clicks into the stroller, and on the way there, it was such a pain to have to gate check everything because you had to break it down, and you're rushing to get on and all that. The way back, we checked the carseat beforehand and just gate checked the stroller. I'm not sure how your baby will do on take-off and landing, but if she's fussy, I would suggest either nursing her or giving her a bottle. It kind of does the same thing as chewing gum for us. Something I didn't have, but wish I did was something to rest my arm on. I held my daughter the entire time, and something for her to kind of rest on (like a boppy maybe?) would have been nice. My daughter was overall a really good traveler, so I didn't have any problems. Some things you might need: diapers (just enough to get you by....you can always buy more down there!), wipes, pacifiers (extra ones in case they fall on the floor), blanket, bottles (if your nursing and worried about feeding, you can bring milk and a portable bottle warmer or ask the attendant for a cup of hot water), clothes, sleepers, socks, bath supplies (you can always buy those too....I just bought a little fold up bath "ramp" and took a bath with her), washcloths, and q-tips. That's about all I can think of right now. Good luck with your trip! It's definitely different when you fly with a baby!!

*By the way, it's ok for a baby to fly after they're 1 month old....they say the recycled air isn't good for babies younger than that though. I spoke to my doctor though and she said flying was fine!!

The time to start a routine is now. You'll have to do some prep work by not letting her sleep all day. Play and sing and do interesting things. After she has about 2 hour nap in the afternoon, make enough noise to waken her, then play and sing, etc. to keep her happy and tire her out a bit. Do your "supper" feeding, then wait for the inevitable diaper. After that, a warm bath and reading or rocking with the last bottle of the evening. Put her down for the night. If she wakes for a bottle, feed her and put her back down. A couple days and she should go into the "groove". But you have to interact - playing and singing and reading. It's good for the baby and bonds you as well and tires her mind out with learning.

if you are nursing you have it easy you just need spit rags, toys, clothes, blankets, diapers, wipes, lotions, potions, and powder. if on formula add sterile water, bottles, nipples, heck just check the links lol. too many to just rewrite what someone else already took the time to write. besides the second one is a printable checklist. as for the husband id tell him to make his own checklist that way if you forget to pack something it is his own fault lol.

give her something to suck on for the way up and down, whether thats a breast, bottle or pacifier. it will help relieve the pressure in her ears and calm her down. and make sure you have a couple of spare outfits (for her and you) and spew cloths in your carry-on coz you will probably need them. good luck with your trip and i hope you have fun :-)

• cLaU

Your baby will most likely be asleep during the flight. i suggest you don't let her sleep for several hours before the flight so that she will be so tired she will sleep.. That way you don't have to worry about her fussing in the airplane..

• Josh

I don't think that is quite healthy for a newborn