Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

ASSAULT RIFLES...? ?

why do gun owners not like calling automatic guns assault rifles...

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Look here for a meaningful comprehensive answer.........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_rifle

Not like calling? --- Its not a matter of not liking-- Its a matter of idiot media reporters calling a semi-automatic rifle an assault rifle....

See this AR15? --- Its a semi-automatic sporting rifle... NOT an assault rifle....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-15

See this M16?.... This is a fully automatic assault rifle.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M16_rifle

Notice how they look the same? --- The mix up comes with media reporters with low IQ's cant tell the difference......

• DJ
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Because "The Pen IS mightier than the Sword".

Adolph Hitler coined the term Assault Rifle ("Sturmgewehr") for the StG 44 in the dark waning days of the Third Reich.

Always a master of words and propaganda, he wanted something that sounded "terrifying" for the Nazi's new weapon... that could turn the tide of the war and give Germans hope. Obviously, it was too little and too late.

What gun folks don't like is using the meaningless term "Assault Weapon".... which could mean anything from a rock to a nuclear bomb.

An "Assault Rifle" is by definition capable of automatic fire and using this term for a simple semi-auto firearm like a lot of Anti-Rights people do is ridiculous.

So we don't mind if the term is used, we mind if the term is used incorrectly, often with a political agenda to infringe my rights.

• what?
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

i don't think that it's so much that people don't like calling full-auto guns assault rifles. (though just because something is full-auto doesn't necessarily make it an assault rifle.)

it's more often when people call semi-auto only guns assault weapons that irks gun owners. that's like telling a poet that a limerick and a haiku are the same thing. Sure they may have a few elements in common, but you'd be just so ridiculously wrong that it's hard for others to take you seriously.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There is ONLY 1 definition of what an Assault Rifle is and it is as follows.

Assault rifles are “short, compact, selective-fire weapons that fire a cartridge intermediate in power between sub machine gun and rifle cartridges.” That definition is from the United States Department of Defense,

None of the rifles being sold in the United States today i.e. AR-15's, AK style rifles, SKS's etc... are by any real definition "Assault Rifles or Assault Weapons".

My AR-15 is no more an Assault Weapon than my Scoped Bolt Action rifle is a Snipers Rifle.

Source(s): Real world common sense
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Automatic guns are assault weapons for the most part because they are made for military and police use. SEMautomatic guns come in a variety of shapes sizes, calibers and uses. My 1187 remington shotgun is not an assault weapon, my 1022 is not an assault weapon. Just because a gun can LOOK like a military weapon doesnt make it one. The gun banners want to lump alot of guns into that "assault rifle" category. Its a blatant attempt to criminilize many gun owners jsut for owning a serviceable firearm that happens to be semi automatic. Thats why we dont like it. We know the difference. That answer your question?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

We do call automatic guns as "assault rifles." What makes us angry is when liberal morons call semi-autos like AR-15s 'assualt rifles.

It does not matter what the gun looks like, if it does not have selective fire capability then it is stupid to call it an assault rifle. A true assault rifle must be a intermediate caliber carbine or rifle that can selectively fire fully automatic or semi-automatic shots.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Theres a fine line between tactical arm and assault weapon. In my opinion an assault rifle (no pistol is an assault pistol) is a rifle issued to an army as a mass infantry weapon. Semi auto versions for US market are assault style rifles.

• Kenny
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Because not all automatics area assault rifles.

If you ask me, automatic weapons are a waste of ammo. Semi is the way to go. Controlled and well places shots prove to be more effective than spray and pray.

In the hands of those improperly trained, an automatic weapon is far more likely to hurt some innocent bystander or just completely miss the target all together.

Source(s): I've fired plenty of automatic weapons (assault rifles and machine guns included) and I don't see the attraction. Semi auto and bolt action are FAR more effective.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Spin. The media has painted "assault rifles" as evil, though I have yet to hear of a reasonable definition of "assault rifle." In my mind, this is the only assault rifle:

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/

The original assault rifle, and maybe the best shoulder arm ever issued.

• 1 decade ago

Because A: That term is not used by the military, only the media. And B: Because there not what they are labeled to be.

Source(s): "Bitter"
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.