How do I remove mold from a wooden dresser?

I was given a beautiful dresser but when I pulled the drawers out I discovered the sides and undersides of several of the drawers are covered in green and white mold!

What is the best way to kill it to reduce the chances of it growing again?

Favorite Answer

If this is raw wood - unpainted - try the following:

Cleaning Solution: Mix 1 quart of chlorine bleach with 3 quarts of water.

Method: Scrub the area with your cleaning solution. After it is clean, consider coating with a mildew resistant paint.

More tips on cleaning different surfaces that have mold in sources:

put some bleach in a spray bottle and spray the mold and then wipe it down with a rag. The bleach will kill the mold almost instantly and won't hurt your furniture. I had around forty pieces of furniture come through my shop from hurricane katrina and it was in very bad condition--the bleach will work great for you---good luck.

Source(s): furniture refinishing--20+ years

You could try Hydrogen Peroxide ask your local pharmacist and explain your problem, I would have said bleach but the smell of bleach could last and contaminate your clothes! good Luck