Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

why are christians excited about heaven?

never have i been presented with an image of heaven that makes it seem a place that i would like to spend eternity.

it's all about basking in god's glory (borrrrring) and apparently (according to a recent question) god takes away your freewill upon arrival. not to mention that i've been told that there is no need for FOOD or SEX in heaven. i'll assume that also means no drinks, and you won't remember some/many of your loved ones.

have i got that right?

what's there to be excited about?

and yes, atheists, i'm aware that heaven doesn't exist, but if it did, why would i want to go there?

Jeff - LMAO! yes, he sure will be! ahhh the good old days

Favorite Answer

I'm going to put my brain on the back burner and use my imagination for a minute: I guess that they think that the world is so hateful and ugly, that they can dream of a floating on a cloud for the rest of "eternity" sounds better than this. Sounds like a pretty little place, but none of us have ever really "been to heaven" before, so how do we know what it's really like?

Okay, enough of the fairy tale crap, I'm back on earth now. Yeah, the world is an ugly place, but it's all we have. When we die, that's it.

Lol, I don't know where your getting your information but its wrong. I know Jehovah's witnesses are not allowed to have parties for any reason, and their not to celebrate easter and all other celebrations accept christmas. I know this because I use to be a Jehovah's witness and I really believed all of this so I am now a regular christians.

Anyways to get to the point I don't think were "excited" go to heaven, and by that I mean we don't really want to speed up our lives and die. But if we are good and pray and stuff we will go to heaven and if you do, you just do. I guess some people are excited just because it's a chance at having a 2ed life and in a "paradise".

Hope I helped.... :)

And I do believe that heaven does exists.

Source(s): Mee

well you are actually wrong, Heaven is capitalized. it does exist. Read the book of Revelation in the Bible, and almost all the things mentioned in it have come true, that means that the prophecy has come true-no other religion has that. Heaven is where we are rewarded for the glory that we brought to God on earth, and the good that we did on earth and the crowns that we got for bringing people to Jesus. I mean he died on the cross and rose from the dead. No one else has done that. There will be feasts in Heaven, that sentence means there will be no want or hunger. Also the cups will runneth over with wine-there will be drinking but not to get drunk. And yes you will/may not recogonize everyone that you once knew it depends on who they were to you.Email me if you have anymore questions.

No one really knows if Heaven exists and if it does, no one knows what it would be like. All that you mentioned is what a lot of peoples theories have come up with but it is supposed to be a place of happiness if it exists. So basically, I don't know why you would want to go there. My personal reason is the hope that I would one day have wings or be able to sit on a cloud. But that might just be a pipe dream who knows.

I don't know what answer you are looking for, but i doubt you will find it here.

• A Christian strives his entire life to achieve Theosis or deification...i.e. to literally become LIKE God (not God)...this involves many many things, but mostly it involves getting to the point where your free will is in accordance with God's will. It's not that God is taking away your free will, it is that you and God pretty much see eye to eye. If you and I both agree that murdering babies is wrong for example, it's not because I usurped your free will, it's because we both think it's wrong independently.

Once you reach that point, then there is nothing more that you would want more than to be with God. If you and someone are so compatible and think alike and see eye to eye on everything, would you not want to spend a lot of time with that person? Now if that person was God and bestowed great glory upon you, would you not want to spend eternity in that glory.

And as a matter of fact, it is not JUST basking in God's glory. The dead will be raised in a glorious new body. Your reward for being godly on earth is to be YOURSELF glorified. And the dead will be raised in a glorified new body that does need food, water, and drinks. And you will remember your loved ones...and your most beloved will be God.

Not to mention that the alternative is hell fire and brimstone where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Sorry, but you've been grossly misinformed, lol.

The Bible actually states there WILL be food in Heaven, and yes, wine too. When Jesus had the Last Supper with his disciples (bread and wine) He told them He wouldn't drink wine again until He drank anew with them in Heaven.

There's no need for sex because every emotional and mental desire will be completely fulfilled, and obviously, there won't be anymore reproducing.

You WILL remember your loved ones - why do you think you wouldn't remember them? The Bible says we will know others and we will be known by others.

So no, you don't have that right.

"At His right hand are pleasures forevermore."

Sounds pretty darn good to me.

• szarek

first and foremost, no person is going to heaven to fulfill Jesus...... in case you examine Zechariah, Jesus, or Yahshua (His real Aramaic call) is coming all the way down to earth. His foot will come down on Mount Zion, and he will enter Jerusalem and set up His FAther's kingdom government. i'm so unwell of each and all the fake teachings it particularly is so prevelant in the international of christianity right this moment....... If basically human beings could examine the bible, they could see that what they have been taught in the church homes of the non secular equipment right this moment is man made interpretation and guy's traditions, and not the information as they have been dictated via God(Yahweh) to His prophets and Apostles.

you might not know that God exists but he does, the reason christians are excited about heaven is because they see how God has changed their lives in this world and how much happiness God has given them. We dont think about food or sex in heaven because we know we will be overwealmed with Gods love we wont need anything else. Besides its better than going to hell and living in eternal darkness

because they say when you get there everything will make sense and you won't even want food or sex because those are just things you need on earth to make your crappy earth-life almost bearable, but in heaven, when you're basking in god's glory and rad awesomeness, that's enough. god is that cool. he's better than cake.

anyway i guess that's why earth-life is so bad, because we're not close enough to god's awesome love yet. and you'll realize how dumb food and sex are.

(real reason: because someone told them to love heaven from a young age)

Well, for one thing, it beats the alternative by a million miles. If you believe in heaven (and I do), then it follows you believe in hell. Since there are only two choices, after reading the discribtion of hell, I can't imagine any sane, or insane person for that matter, chosing to go there.

Though I am in no hurry to get there,I am looking forward to seeing the person who loves me enough that He died for me, and to enjoy all the wonderful things He has prepared for me. He knows exactly what will make me the happiest and He's getting it ready. Wish you were coming too.

Source(s): The Bible.