Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

christians, can you tell me what the difference is between pagans, wiccans, satanists and devil worshippers?

i don't want the similarities that you're bound to try and answer with, such as "they're all going to hell"

i want to know the differences.

FYI i'm a witch but not wiccan :)

skizee - "swivel on the askers Athame" LMAO!

that's good!

• Ray M
    Favorite Answer

Honestly, I don't know that much. But here is the generic view of the church.

They are all bad, but very on complicity.

Satanists and devil worshippers - most of them KNOWINGLY worship what is evil. Some of them don't believe in SATAN, they just think it is a believing in themselves thing. But for the most part, they KNOWINGLY choose to go against God.

Pagans and wiccans are not necessarily KNOWINGLY worshipping something wrong. I'll make a comparrison.

We believe that Muslims are wrong. They worship God in a false way with false practices. But they truely believe that it is correct and not wrong.

Pagans and Wiccans believe what they are doing is correct and not wrong (from what I know). They don't believe they are turning against God. They think they're doing what is correct. In that sense, they are like Muslims.

I suppose the difference is in what they think they are worshipping. Islam believes it is worshipping a God, a singular one. Pagans/wiccans - they don't believe they are worshipping said God. So that makes them... uh... "worse" in the eyes of Christian churches, IMO. (but not worse then the crazy suicide bombers, IMO again)

Just my views. I don't know enough about wiccans to talk about what they actually believe. Pagan is a general term and can cover a LOT of different beliefs. SO it is hard to generalize.

As for you, what do you mean when you say you are a witch. What does that mean to you? (I'm actually curious, not wanting to be a crazy attacker LOL)

Yes, a Pagan is someone with beliefs outside of the ordinary fold, Normally polytheistic but not always.

Wiccans are a druidish cult, most popular and prevalent in southern England. Normally worship a God and Goddess, very close to nature. Wicca is old english for witch as well, just remembered.

Satanists (levayan) are a Humanist group who believe in the power of ones self and not bowing to non-existent external deities

and devil worshipers are angry Christians who believe (apparently) in the God/Christ thing but choose the other side.

Bout sums it up i think and for anyone who disagrees you can all swivel on the askers Athame. :)

@MJ, my only disagreement would be the age of Wicca, what we think of as wicca is actually a neo-pagan version. There may have been an ancient version but is very unlikely the ceremonies, beliefs or name of the cult would have stayed the same.

@Todd, only one correction too. Wicca means literally witch or sorcerer, not wisdom

@regina. The idea of Atheists believing in any God, false or not, is quite laughable. You have shown you are not qualified to answer this question.

Pagans: Believe in a non-christian god or goddess, or can be polytheistic...

Wiccans: practice Wicca, a non-violent ancient religion of the Earth which sometimes involves magic or spells...

Satanists: Practice their religion as per the code of the Church of Satan popularized by Anton LaVey...

Devil Worshippers: usually idiot poseurs who don't actually worship a "devil" but use it to justify acts of violence or shock value.

Source(s): A wordly person.

Pagan = blanket term. Includes many paths. Basically one who doesn't subscribe to any Abrahamic religion

Wiccan = pagan. One who practices Wicca. Nature based religion

I don't know much about the last two, thus I'll refrain from saying anything that might be incorrect :)

@ Wry - lol, so according to your theory, witches are born...old? :P

Source(s): Pagan-Neo Shaman-Traditional Witch
  • Todd T

"Pagan" comes from the Latin word for "Countryside" (it is the opposite of "urban") and, religiously speaking, refers to the many Earth-based folk religions in (European) rural areas. "Wicca" (means "wisdom") is one of many branches of Paganism. It is Earth- and nature- based. Wicca is recently developed, but borrows heavily from ancient folk tradition. Paganism is popular with caucasians who seek their religious heritage, as Christianity (along with Islam and Judaism) is a Middle Eastern religion.

Satanists are an organized group of atheists whose main goal seems to be to promote oneself despite the omnipresence of the Christian Church ("Satan" means "adversary").

"Devil worshiper" is what Christians call any of the above, or anyone else they don't agree with. ("They're all going to hell"...)

Well, it's like this. Anyone, anyone at all, has to decide what to do with Jesus Christ. If anyone accepts and follows Him, he is God's child, and will dwell eternally in Heaven with God. Anyone, anyone at all, who denies Jesus, and refuses what He has done for them, is bound for a very bad place. Pagans, wiccans, satanists, devil worshippers, atheists, all follow a false God. Cults and cultists follow a false God. The difference between a Christian and a non- Christian boils down to one question: "WHAT WILL YOU DO WITH CHRIST ?"

• Shar B

Why ask a Christian for the differences? Why not just look it up in your dictionary?

I have a cousin who is a wiccan, but I don't know the difference between being a wiccan and being pagan. Honestly, I don't have an interest in any other faith other than my own. I'm a Christian.

Edit@coder.head- Why should I have an interest in another religion..especially false religions?

>> "Honestly, I don't have an interest in any other faith other than my own. I'm a Christian."

Figures.

You mean with a google search?

They aren't going to know it off hand. And they aren't going to care till their daugher is dating one.