How do Roman Catholic religious beliefs differ from Southern Baptist religious beliefs?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Well, let's first address the few common Southern Baptist doctrines point-by-point

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_baptist#Theo...

1) Priesthood of all believers

Roman Catholics would agree except regarding interpretation of Scripture. Although Roman Catholics are certainly permitted to interpret Scripture themselves, they are expected to live according to the interpretation provided by the Roman Catholic Church.

2) Soul competency

Agree - each person is accountable before God.

3) Creeds and confessions

Southern Baptists believe that these can be revised in light of Scripture. Roman Catholics have, in the past, modified the wording of such creeds and confessions (see the history of the current Apostles' Creed), so I guess that there is agreement here.

4) Women in ministry

Agreement. Roman Catholics prohibit women only from priesthood, which is essentially equivalent to a Southern Baptist pastor.

5) Church and state

I am not sure if there is any Roman Catholic doctrine on this point. I know that Roman Catholic *officials* (priests) are not permitted to run for or hold public office. However, I do not believe that Roman Catholics demand a separation of church and state. By that I mean, I believe that the Roman Catholic Church (RCC) would not complain if they were made the state religion in some nation - and it may be tht they still hold such a status in some nations.

6) Missions

Agree.

7) Autonomy of local church.

Disagree. Baptists allow local churches to select their own pastor, and the particular doctrines preached by the pastor are largely unrestricted as long as they agree with the few Southern Baptist doctrines. RCC officials choose pastors for the churches under their care, and all RCC priests must teach doctrine that fully complies with the much more extensive RCC doctrine.

8) Cooperation

RCC has a similar common missionary program supported by all congregations.

9) Sexuality

Agreement. RCC states that homosexuality itself is not a sin, but that homosexual acts are "mortal" sins. Therefore, a homosexual *lifestyle* is not appropriate for a Roman Catholic.

10) Sanctity of life

Agreement.

Some other differences:

The Southern Baptist Convention (SBC) forms new policies, as the name suggests, in convention. The RCC can do so only with approval from the pope. In other words, the RCC is led by an individual, not a convention.

SBC has only two of what RCC calls "sacraments" - baptism and "the lord's supper". RCC has 7.

SBC baptism is always by a person who confessed their belief in the salvation of Jesus, who is of the "age of accountability" (whatever age THAT is - not specified, only vaguely defined), and is always full-immersion. None of these is a requirement of RCC baptism.

SBC "lord's supper" views that rite as symbolic in nature, and it's frequency is determined by each congregation. The RCC "lord's supper" occurs during every "mass" - meaning very nearly every religious service - and they view the bread and wine as the literal, physical "body and blood of Jesus" (though not as human cell tissue).

In my experience, SBC demands a reliance on Scripture for doctrine - a sort of "sola scriptura". Baptists in general *insist* that a personal interpretation of Scripture is required, though the interpretation of some respected other can be adopted as your own personal interpretation. RCC relies on Scripture, on the traditional RCC doctrines that pre-date the bible, *and* on any "new" doctrines that the RCC establishes. Note that "new" doctrines are claimed to be compatible with (never contradict) both Scripture and traditional doctrines.

I think that covers most of the issues.

Jim, http://www.bible-reviews.com/selector_rc.html

• 4 years ago

Jesus Christ founded the Catholic Church, and at the Last Supper Jesus personally established the Catholic ministerial priesthood, and gave the Church the definitive sacrifice of the New Covenant, along with the essential liturgy of the holy Mass, in his very own body and blood. All the others who popped up much, much later, including the baptists and all the misguided heretics that Chris mentions, invented a whole new form of religion, complete with novel new teachings, founded on nothing, and with no authority from God at all. It's not just a matter of a different type worship ... it's a matter of truly knowing the God you claim to worship ... or not. Jesus never founded any Church other than the Catholic Church, and he never authorized any other person or group do do so, either.

• Rubym
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Probably the most fundamental difference is the fact that the Baptists are Bible only as foundation of their beliefs, like most Protestants. Catholics have beliefs from what is called Church tradition, it includes the Assumption of Mary's body into heaven, the belief Mary was conceived without original sin (The Immaculate Conception, often misunderstood to mean the Virgin Conception of Jesus), as well as the beliefs in the intercessions of saints in heaven (asking God to help us) and things like statues in churches. Most Protestants are totally against any statues or even art work in churches.

Baptists and some other religions baptize adults and use 'emersion', Catholics, Lutherans and some others Baptize or christen babies (as well as Adult converts) and pour water on their heads.

• 1 decade ago

The Roman Catholic Church, which had its beginning around 320 AD, has many doctrines that contradict the teachings of the Bible.

Apostolic succession is a myth. Mary's intercessoral role is a myth. Mary's eternal virginity and sinlessness is a myth. Transubstantiation is a myth. Faith plus works for salvation is a myth. Purgatory is a myth.

These myths are at the heart and soul of RCC doctrine and are blasphemous.

Southern Baptist doctrine agrees much more closely with the teaching of the Bible.

It is highly recommended that a person search the Scriptures rather than the doctrines of ANY denomination to learn what God says our beliefs and practices should be.

Source(s): Bible
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Mike K
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Hello,

Short and sweet:

1) Apostolic succession aka Pope as leader.

2) The sacrifice of the mass.

3) The sacraments, particularly reconciliation.

4) Veneration of Mary

5) Catholics do not believe in the rapture

6) Catholics reject the concept of Eternal Security, once saved always saved. Catholics believe as do other Christians as well that this totally contradicts what Christ taught, especially after he warns us of dire consequences for not forgiving and helping out neighours.

• 1 decade ago

"What separates us as believers in Christ is much less than what unites us." (Pope John XXIII)

Almost all important doctrine is completely agreed upon between Catholic Christians and other Christians.

Here is the joint declaration of justification by Catholics (1999), Lutherans (1999), and Methodists (2006):

By grace alone, in faith in Christ's saving work and not because of any merit on our part, we are accepted by God and receive the Holy Spirit, who renews our hearts while equipping us and calling us to good works.

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_counc...

There are many minor doctrine issues and some major cultural traditional differences which, I believe, do not matter that much.

A Catholic worships and follows Christ in the tradition of Catholicism which, among other things, recognizes that Christ made Peter the leader of His new Church and Pope Benedict XVI is Peter's direct successor.

For more information, see the Catechism of the Catholic Church: http://www.usccb.org/catechism/text/index.shtml

With love in Christ.

• 1 decade ago

The most basic differences would probably be the authority of the Pope, transubstantiation, the role of priests and saints like the Virgin Mary, and religious art and iconography.

• 1 decade ago

Baptist beliefs is exclusively based on Sola Scriptura (RCC discourages it).

Baptist do not have the 7 Sacraments nor the Eucharist.

Baptist believe in Salvation by faith alone (as opposed to faith+works)

Those are the main differences

@Jesussaves - it is widely known that the KJV isn't accurate

Source(s): Pagan (who studied Catholicism for 19 years)
  • 1 decade ago

The Roman Catholic Church teaches that salvation is only possible through the Roman Catholic Church.

Southern Baptists believe that salvation is only possible by the grace of God through faith in Christ.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

LOL. That's really the funniest question I've seen in a while.

I grew up in a Southern Baptist church, and my congregation believed that Catholics were going to Hell.

Source(s): Southern Bapstists made me the atheist I am today!
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.