Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 1 decade ago

how long would it take for a person to die from leukemia?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Cancer of any kind is dangerous - there is no such thing as a good cancer. Leukemia takes lives of children and adults every day but at the same time, there are many survivors that are in remission and doing very well. The most common cancer for children and young people is leukemia, and the most common type of leukemia is called either Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia, or Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL). How well a patient does depends on so many different factors including age, cell counts, what type and subtype of leukemia he or she has, the will to fight, and so many other factors.

My son E was diagnosed with a Wilms' Tumour as a newborn, won his battle, and was recently diagnosed with Secondary Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML). AML is related to ALL but is still quite different. His cancer is most likely a secondary cancer caused by the chemotherapy his first time when he fought Wilms. E somehow passed his screenings he has every 3 months back in October but in the end of November we started to notice he wasn't quite himself, and he was diagnosed December 19th.

There are lots of symptoms of leukemia but each individual is different. Some display some symptoms while others display other ones. E had a cold in November that he just couldn't kick. We took him to the doctor and he was given an antibiotic. He got a little better but as soon as he finished the antibiotic he got sick again. He usually has a couple bruises here and there since he is a 2 year old. His walking was greatly affected from one of the drugs in his first chemo cocktail so he trips and falls pretty often. But the bruising he had was more than usual - he bruised at the slightest bump. That's when we really knew something was wrong and took him to the doctor again. Once he was diagnosed we found out that his spleen and liver were enlarged - also symptoms of leukemia. Due to the extent of enlargement of his spleen, he had it removed after a round of chemotherapy. So far he has had 3 strong doses of chemo and he's labeled as being in remission! He still has 4-6 rounds of consolidation chemo left just to make sure all of the cancerous cells are gone.

A leukemia diagnosis is absolutely not a death sentence. It's treatable but you have to keep in mind that it does take lives. I know many children and adults that have gone on to live completely normal lives after getting their No Evidence of Disease (NED) status. Sometimes a patient does relapse but it is absolutely possible that he or she can reach remission and eventually NED status.

I hope this helped you out some. If you have any more questions feel free to email me (crazycanuckj@yahoo.ca) or IM me (crazycanuckj).

Source(s): My 2 year old son is a warrior who beat a Wilms' Tumour and is currently battling Secondary Acute Myelogenous Leukemia. http://www.caringbridge.com/visit/warrioreli
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Baby
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Leukemia is not always a death sentence. There are many people who are now in remission after leukemia. Treatment has advanced considerably and if detected in time it can be managed very well.

Not even a doctor would be able to give you an exact answer to your question. it depends on so many things, like what stage it is in, whether it has spread to any other parts of the body, the age and health of that particular person, etc.

If you are asking for yourself or a loved one, my thoughts are with you. Keep strong and you will get through it

Source(s): I have lymphoma
  • 3 years ago

there is not any longer sufficient suggestions based on your description to even make a wager as to the analysis. besides the fact that, age is a ingredient in determining the analysis for many cancers. maximum acute leukemias in the lymphic cellular line (as adversarial to the myeloid cellular line) have a tendency afflict youthful human beings. continual leukemias are extra different seen in older human beings. In a sort of intuitive way, chemotherapy which kills without delay dividing cells is Most worthy against acute leukemias for the reality they're extra without delay dividing than continual leukemias. it particularly is a significant clarification why ALL has some ninety% 5-12 months survival cost and different leukemias (different than CML) have a lots decrease. besides, elderly persons are much less in all likelihood to be as reliable to stand up to the pains of chemotherapeutic medical care and/or bone marrow transplant (BMT). besides the fact that, one sort of leukemia Ph+ CML has a solid cost of limitless remission if detected in the continual or speeded up section through fact of extra present day drugs which include Gleevec, Sprycel and, Tasigna. Ph+ CML basically afffects approximately 5000 human beings a 12 months in america of a. As reported via yet another poster, AML has a tendency to strike older human beings and the analysis is often no longer solid.

• 1 decade ago

there is not set time when a person gets leukemia..

Source(s): sorry i couldnt answer right
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I was diagnosed twelve years ago and am still going strong

• 1 decade ago

There is no set time, but the Doctor would have some idea, I'm sure.

• 1 decade ago

my advise to anyone with this question is to stay strong and be positive:)

Source(s): life
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.