Is playing bass like playing guitar?

My best friends forming a band, and is looking for a bass player. I play guitar well, and am interested in playing bass, but am not willing to invest in one unless I think I can play it. I can probably borrow one from school for the time being, but if I'm to play I would really like my own, but, as said, will not invest unless I'm sure I can play.

Also, is it possible to tune a normal steel string to sound like a bass? Just until I can get my hands on one.

Would like a quick answer please, as I return to school tomorrow.

Favorite Answer

Playing bass is like playing lead guitar you don't play cords, but you are playing the bass line of music. I don't think you could tune your axe low enough for the bass line. The bass is tuned to the first four string of the guitar but at a lower frequency. One octave I think. Check out the link below. And keep playing.

Yes and no. Bass is much lower than the guitar and may have different ways to play cords than on the guitar. But, it does have the same principle to playing a guitar (if it is an electric bass). As to your other question, DO NOT try to tune your guitar to sound like a bass. You will probably loosen the strings to the point where they will just fall out.

Source(s): My infinite knowledge

They are the same but different.

Source(s): brown vs the board