My parents say microwaving lettuce makes it poisonous--true or false?

Ever since I was little my (more than) paranoid parents have warned me to NEVER microwave lettuce, because (drum roll, please) it will turn poisonous! What the crap? Is this really true? I swear it can't be, because I've eaten lettuce in sandwiches, etc... that have been microwaved... and I'm... show more Ever since I was little my (more than) paranoid parents have warned me to NEVER microwave lettuce, because (drum roll, please) it will turn poisonous!

What the crap?

Is this really true? I swear it can't be, because I've eaten lettuce in sandwiches, etc... that have been microwaved... and I'm still alive.

But of course, this possible myth still lingers over my head, and--after finding out that the whole "potatoes are poisonous when they start to sprout" myth turned out to be true--I want to know if they're right about this too.

Please somebody tell me: Is it safe to microwave lettuce, and/or foods containing lettuce?

Thanks!