Why my computer speaker sound quality is so bad?

I have altec lensing speakers. It worked great for 3 years. Suddenly, sound quality went bad. I checked cable connection, replaced with new speakers and still same issue.

Static, no bass. Did not make any changes. Would it be a hardware or software issue? How do i fix it?

Win XP

Best Answer

First you must see what the problem is. So try these steps:

1. plug your speakers into another audio source (any will do: your stereo, radio, ipod, mp3 player, phone, anything that has a sound jack output that matches your speakers). See how the sound is there: if it's good then the problem is clearly with your computer. Otherwise, take your speakers to a good electronics expert or get new ones.

2. If the speakers were fine at #1, go to your computer. First try to uninstall the audio driver and any codecs you may have. Then, try to get an updated audio driver for your sound card. Install it, restart computer, try an mp3 file in mediaplayer and see how it is.

Hard to tell. The problem obviously isnt with your speakers.

It could be with your soundcard. Your motherboard. Sound drivers. Sound codec

Thats all I can think of

check your sound card in your computer.