The Best Quarterback of All Time?

So, I need some back up from someone who knows about linear regression. We were discussion who the best quarterback was, and someone said that we can't figure out who is the best because some people haven't played as long as others. I told them you could extrapolate their statistics through linear... show more So, I need some back up from someone who knows about linear regression. We were discussion who the best quarterback was, and someone said that we can't figure out who is the best because some people haven't played as long as others. I told them you could extrapolate their statistics through linear regression, which would account for variables like injury and experience. They stated it wasn't possible.

So, I know it's possible, as that is what linear regression does, but I'm having trouble explaining why to my friends. Can anyone give me a hand explaining how, through linear regression, it is possible to extrapolate results for quarterbacks that played for less time than others?