Anonymous

Why are italians so dark if they are european?

why are italians always or almost always quite dark haired and most of times olive skinned and not as white like central/northern europeans?

Moi1990 i have been in italy, france and the netherlands,northern germany

The phisically difference between italians compared to dutch and northern german people is extreme...

Mooi1990 the irish and british don't count as northern european since most of them are mixed with native britons which were depicted as being quite dark and are linked with baskes and iberians, not the case of scandinavia or holland or northern germany where most of people descend directly of germaic tribes.

Favorite Answer

african ancestry

maria k, really cause I saw some dark azz Italians

How do we not count as northern Europeans ....the UK and Ireland are in north western Europe and so many of us are naturally very white. Although my dad is tanned!

Many Italians tan very easily and have natural olive skin because they get a lot more sun than we do. But I have been to many places in Italy and a lot look central European and some do have pale skin like my colour.

But you are right that there are naturally tanned British and Irish people. My friend has olive skin and my dad is not pale at all, he gets a very, very good tan!

Skin colour in Europe varies between very pale to tanned.

Jim- English can have very dark hair! My mum does naturally so do many of my family. Although my mum is only of Irish ancestry not English.

For the most part, they're actually not dark. I'm from England and when i went to Spain and Italy for the first time i expected them to be a lot darker than me but when i got there, i blended in. In fact i had darker hair than most Italians (i have Black hair while most Italians i met had brown.) Lots of Italians have pale skin with blonde hair.

Edit: What about where i am from, England? I have an uncle who is married to a Spaniard (i know you asked about Italians but the two countries are near each other) and she is lighter than i am in hair, eye and skin colour!! And you can't get any further North in Europe than the UK! And i know for a fact that in Central Europe (i.e. Germany) they can have dark hair as well.

Edit: Jim D-did i say that ALL Italian people had blonde hair? NO I DIDN'T! I said that i HAVE seen Italian people with Blonde hair. Are you denying that there are Italians with blonde hair? Baring in mind that I HAVE been to Italy before? So next time actually READ my answer before giving me useless information about your family.

• Nadine

Italians are darker because they are from the Mediterranean, most people from the Mediterranean are darker, whether they are in Europe or not, because of the amount of sun that they get and it is a tropical area that like i said gets lots of sun. but the Greeks can be dark too, just like the Spanish, Portuguese, Maltese(i think that's what their called, people from Malta). and the non-European ones look just like them, like the Moroccans, Algerians, Libyans, Syrians, etc. they are all from the same basic area and all look similar. grant it the last few are from the Middle East and Africa but they are still from the Mediterranean and still look very similar to the Italians

and the Italians aren't, for the most part, mixed with Africans. most people would be darker if they were from a coastal area with that much sunlight, being black has nothing to do with it

hammysammy/deanna b, i'm not being rude but i am of Southern European descent (Spaniard and Portuguese) and its really ignorant when people say that we have African ancestry. Normally people base this on the fact that the Moors invaded Europe but the Moors were Arabs, NOT Black. Also, there was only a slight degree of intermixing between both groups because of religious differences. If you went to Italy, you would see that most look no different from the average White American.

• Annette5 years agoReport

Fact: Moors were both Black and Arab.

it is not only italians who re olive skined but also greek or spanish. If we think all the Europeans re blonde blue eyed but very important part of them dont fit that category. correct me if i am wrong.

i dont understand why the skin colour make them european or not. it is matter of culture. Romans re undeniably one of the major element of Europea culture.

What is european means actualy.. there re very very different countries in it. Gree and Britain.. Spany and Finland.

You apparently have never seen northern Italians who can be blonde and blue-eyes, or residents of other European countries that are also dark and dark-haired.

My boyfriend is an Italian living in Italy. He is tan in summer and pale in winter like many Italians are. His dad is blond and has blue eyes.

Here are his pictures I captured his image through the webcam.

Edit : http://360.yahoo.com/profile-0ZLJD2U8f6Dq5FCe4Scvt...

That really will depend on the individual, some people may color there hair Blonde and look very nice, the same with Dark-colored. It all truly depends on your skin tone

Genghis Kahn. Conquored much of Europe in his reign , and much like Romans...raped and pillaged. Btw, whoever said cuz we're from Mediterranean...ummm, yeah...Swiss border patrol. I mean, Swiss Alps...oh yeah, that spells Hott!

Because Italy is in Europe