Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

how do you train a new puppy to go to the bathroom outside?

i have a new puppy tank and sometimes he goes to the door and scratches but most of the time he just pees and poops in the floor...how do i keep him from going in the house???

Update:

i have a new puppy named tank he is pitbull bulldog and boxer....for all those he likes to play but doesnt take it out of control....he sometimes goes to the door and most of the time he will just pee....i put him in his kennel if he goes and put his face in his pee and spank him or hit him watever you want to say.....what am i suposed to do ....i need to know from thje rest of you...how do i train him???

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

First choose a toilet spot for your dog outside. If your dog has an accident inside, clean it up and take the poop and if urine paper toweling outside and put in your toilet spot. Leave it for 2 days, sometimes giving it a hose down will help trap the smell into the ground. Dogs are attracted to their smell, so try to get the smell where he should be going.

If your dog has an accident inside, the best way to clean it is to clean the area with an enzymatic, low-perfume laundry detergent such as Bio Zet or a product specifically designed for this purpose such as X-Tract. This product contains natural enzymes to break down the waste residue.

Next close the doors to target rooms and if necessary cover the rugs or carpets with black plastic or a painter's plastic drop sheet until the problem is fully resolved.

the last step is to re-toilet train your dog, Your dog is more likely to need to soil after eating, drinking, sleeping or exercising and of course, when it hasn't 'done one' for a while. When home take the pup to your toilet area every hour & after waking or eating and if your dog does something, say the cue words "Go Potty", make a big fuss and give your dog a really nice treat, cheese and small pieces of sausage are good. You have to teach your dog that doing something in front of you is a big reward situation, so it is important not to punish mistakes inside, or he will stop going if your around. Once he starts to catch on you can slowly increase the length of time before going outside, but expect some accidents for a while.

It would be a good idea to restrict his movements when you are not there, so a crate is a good idea. It takes time and commitment to train a pup, keep your eye on him at all times and if you can't then you crate him.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

figure out how long he is going between accidents, then take him outside in intervals just short of that time...always through the same door helps, because then he will start going to that door when he needs to go out. also, always take him to the same place outside to go, because then he knows that's the place he goes, and that's the only place. praise him when he goes outside, just a firm NO! when he goes inside. if you take him out regularly, you shouldn't have any more accident issues; i had a puppy once who, when i got him i took him out every 25 mins or so until he got the hang of it, and he only ever had one accident inside

and it helps to crate him when you're not home, or when he sleeps for the night; puppies rarely go in a place where they know they will have to stay for awhile, or where they sleep; maybe if he is having LOTS of accidents, especially in his kennel, there might be something else wrong, and he should see a vet

hope this helps...good luck!

• 1 decade ago

crate him when you're not home. take him outside and when he goes praise him and use whatever motivates him(toy/food) for reward. when he goes add a word like "get busy" or "potty". put him outside often and u might want to keep him on a leash in the house for a while when u train him to prevent accidents. good luck.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You need to go outside every time so that you can be there when he 'goes' and praise him. Ignore the accidents and him for a while when he does it in the house and clean it up without fuss. This way he learns no attention for going inside and good attention when you go outside.

Source(s): worked with mine
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

well any time he's circling or smelling around the house he wants to potty, so i suggest u watch and when u see him ready in action u take out to his designated area on leash no tention on the leash let him walk an choose where he wants to potty,while he's pottying tell him the word urinate or what ever bear mind only one word though.when he's finished praise him and give him a treat.may i ask wat breed puppy is it.it takes time and patients or recommend peepee pads or news paper if u want to train him to do that.

• 1 decade ago

i generally start with puppy pee pads and move them toward the door and then start taking them outside and try to stick with the same area to take her and she will get used to it.

Source(s): internet
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Housetraining is a lifelong commitment

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.