im 17,and i scored a 40 on the asvab test is that good enough to get accepted into the air force?

i plan on going this summer, how much do you get pay for basic training? and what are the best jobs

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You might try to study and take it again. The Air Force is picky.

• 4 years ago

Yes, the ASVAB is timed and you can't use a calculator. The test isn't too bad but that depends on your test taking skills and general knowledge of various subjects. I recommend getting one of these prep books

It can make a big difference in how well you do since you'll know exactly what to expect on the test. The higher your score, the more opportunities you'll have and the better jobs you can qualify for so don't take the test lightly just because some people say it's easy. There's a big difference between doing okay and doing extremely well.

The prep/study book will get you used to the timing of the test so you know how long to spend on each question and get used to the time pressure you'll be under. They give you everything you need to know to do well. Good luck!

• 1 decade ago

AFQT:

If you have a high school diploma (or will when you enlist), then yes. The minimum AFQT in USAF for diploma-holders is 36. For GED holders (about 0.5% per year), it's 65. Most enlistees get in the 50s, though. For reference, this puts you in Category IIIB.

Line Scores and AFSCs:

smtsf's confusion stems from the difference between AFQT and ASVAB line scores. They're both calculated from the ASVAB tests, but they're done and used differently. AFQT is what gets you into the military, that's what you got a 40 on. Line scores are calculated by combining specific sections of the test: general science (GS), arithmetic reasoning (AR), word knowledge (WK), paragraph comprehension (PC), mathematics knowledge (MK), electronics information (EI), auto information (AI)/shop information (SI) or combined (AS), mechanical comprehension (MC), and assembling objects (AS). The AF uses these to make 4 composite aptitude scores (in addition to the AFQT): Mechanical (GS, MC, and AI/SI), Administrative (VE), General (AR and VE), and Electronics (GS, AR, MK, and EI). These scores are used to determine what AFSCs (Air Force Specialty Codes) or jobs are open to you. See this list: http://www.military.com/ASVAB/0,,ASVAB_MOS_USAF.ht...

I assume the "80" that smtsf came up with is from the Army's 11B MOS combat specialty line score minimum. (Though, in fact, it's actually 90 now.)

Another important note as far as AFSCs in the Air Force is that, unlike the Army, you're usually not guaranteed a job. In fact, it's pretty unlikely. You usually contact under the "Guaranteed Aptitude" program, which guarantees you an AFSC in one of the four aptitude areas (general, administrative, mechanical, electrical). Then, during your second week at BMT, you'll talk with an AF Job Counselor who'll give you a list of the open AFSCs in that area that you qualify for. You'll select your top eight choices. Trainees used to find out which they got in the 5th week, but with the lengthening of BMT, I honestly don't know when it is now. That said, there's really no such thing as the "best job" in the AF (or anywhere, really), it's about what you want.

Pay

Base pay in the military depends on your rank and TIS time in service. (It also changes if you have dependents, but since you're 17 I'll venture to say that doesn't concern you.) As such, if you enlist with the advanced rank of E-2 or E-3 (that's as high as it goes in the AF), you'll get paid that rate. (Advanced enlistment depends on meeting certain Boy Scout, CAP, JROTC, ROTC, college credit, or long enlistment requirements.)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

study and retake the test. 40 is not good enough, sorry bud.

http://www.militaryfactory.com/military_pay_scale....

check out the above link. find the rank you will be when you enter. probably E1, which is $1399.50 a month. If you are married or have dependents (children) you will also receive BAH (housing allowance based on where your spouse lives) and BAS (food allowance) and separation pay.

Some jobs you may want to look into are cook, supply, and medical supply. It just depends on what you want to do. The Army has alot of jobs, some transfer well to civilian jobs, some don't. Keep that in mind when you are choosing a job.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i got a 39 on the asvab...and i enlisted 3/19/09...dont let anyone tell you that you cant....some recruiters will take you and some will blow u off

\

jeeper is right...

also the score needed for the air force is a 36...if i qualified for 11 jobs you can qualify for more...

army-31

marines-31

coast guard-40

navy-35

• 1 decade ago

Yes, that score is good enough to enlist.

But forget good jobs, that score is not high enough to qualify you for a good job, in any service branch.

NOTE: The Reserves and National Guard raised thier minimum AFQT scores to 50, The active duty ,military did NOT.

• 1 decade ago

no unfortunately they changed the score from 31 to 50, so to get into any branch of the military you have to score a 50. im kinda having the same problem i got a 42 when the score was 31 but meps is ******* with me so now its 50 and there thinking whether or not i have to take it again Good Luck!!!

Source(s): currently joining the army
  • Mrsjvb
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

not really no. the AF won't will not take you at all if you do not have a HS diploma and if you do you still need a 65 on the ASVAB.

• 1 decade ago

its 42

• 1 decade ago

No you will need to score a bit higher......... just practice test onlines and maybe even get a book.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.