Whats the big difference between Stage 1, Stage 2, and Stage 3 baby foods?

I was just curious because I was looking at the jars and stage 1 and 2 look about the same

Best Answer

I think it has to do with consistency and the texture of the food. Stage 1 is for beginners so it's more like a puree, and easy to swallow. Stage 2 is a little thicker. Stage One is single ingredient foods, whereas Stage 2 can be a mix of two.

Actually, a lot of the difference is just the size of the jar!

Stage one obviously has smaller portions. They also are only single flavors. IN theory the stage one foods are appropriate for all babies as well, though I would question that since they have some jars of meats, which are not usually giving to babies under about 8 months.

Stage 2 has larger portions of some of the same flavors as stage one. They also have several flavor blends stuff like apple/prunes or mixed berry.

Stage 3 adds more a more chunky texture to the above, and increases the complexity of the flavors (like there might be flavors with several ingredients).

Personally I started my daughter off with several stage 2 single flavors, just because they were obviously just the same as stage 1, only cheaper per oz, lol! She was soon eating about half a container, and since I fed her out of a separate bowl, I just refrigerated the other half until the next day (its fine in the fridge for 48-72 hours)

Texture. Although it's hard to tell, stage 2 is thicker and harder to swallow as well as digest, so going w/ stage 1 first helps baby learn how to eat, and digest food. We used stage 2 for about 2 weeks, then went to stage 3 for another 2 weeks, then my daughter was eating everything we eat.

Good luck!

• stage 1 and 2 look the same but mot have multiple things mixed together..so only good once you've tried everything...and stage 3 is chunkier and have some solid food bits in it.

the texture is the difference, and stage 3 has lumps in it for chewing

the first stage is reall fine and it goes up in thickness as the stages go up.

Source(s): i am a foster mom and i had to ask the dr.