Guys: Can you get into a book if the main character is a female?

I ask because it is hard for me to enjoy a book if the main character is male.

Favorite Answer

My favorite book is The Hunger Games and its from a girls point of view. I also liked the twilight series.

I don't think its the gender i think its the personallity of the character that makes it bad or good.

Uh, I get into a book whether if the main character is male or fermale.

I think most females can do that, but I think that most guys find it hard to get into a book if the main character is female.

Its weird.

I've never had that problem before, but I'm a girl so it's not like I'm losing masculinity points by reading a chick book.

Honestly, though, I think it's rather silly to not like a book because it's main character or author is female (J.K. Rowling decided to use her initials to trick boys into thinking it was written by a guy).

Well, I'm a girl, but I have no problem getting into a book, not matter what sex the protagonist is. Maybe because I'm spoiled with good writers who hook you and reel you in from page 1, but then again, I think it's up to the author to decide whether or not their character is interesting. Which book are you having difficulty with? Maybe I can help :)

Luthien

Yes, very much so. I like a lot that are like that. Even if it's told from the first person. In fact, I prefer it in most instances. Male characters can be uninteresting. But that doesn't mean they are always to me; just that I love female main characters more (in most instances).

im a female. but i dont think its hard to get into a male main character. ive read harry potter about 100 times, and im reading the lightening theif. just depends how good the book is.

Why wouldn't I be able to? The book, Lisey's Story by Stephen King had a female main character and it was a great book. So was Rose Madder, by him too. They both have characters who are female and are wonderfully made women.

Yes I can so long as she as a character is logical and at least internally strong.... On the other side of that one of the hardest things Ive had to do as a writer was write a female character in the opposite way as I like to read her... IE fussy prissy with little to no logic just emotion with no real goals or convictions....

Well Im Female, But i find that if the main character is Female i can relate to it, in the things that she thinks, says or does. where as if the character is male i seem to be more suprised or eager to see what he thinks or does, compared to what I, personally would do.

I think it depends on the author. I have read several books written by both men and women and have found them equally pleasing to read. But then again, they are accomplished writers. They also use both male and female leading characters. Anne Mccaffrey, Larry Niven, Marion Zimmer Bradley, Dean Koontz, Terry Brooks, just to name a few.