Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysRamadan · 1 decade ago

the true meaning of jihad?

we need to spread the word to all the muslims who might have been tricked into believing jihad is terrorizing innocent people and make them understand the true meaning of jihad, i have decided to do this and i was hoping if anyone here thinks it is a good idea

Best Answer

struggle !

to strive for !

• jb125

The word Jihad does not mean “Holy War”. It means “struggle” or “striving”. The word for war in the Qur’an is “Harb” or “Qital”. Jihad means serious and sincere struggle on the personal as well as on the social level. It is a struggle to do good and to remove injustice, oppression and evil from the society. This struggle should be spiritual as well as social, economic and political. Jihad is to work hard to do right things. In the Qur’an this word is used in its different forms 33 times. It often comes with other Qur’anic concepts such as faith, repentance, righteous deeds and migration.

Jihad is also to protect one’s faith and one’s human rights. Jihad is not a war always, although it can take the form of war, especially when one's country is invaded by invading enemy forces. Islam is the religion of peace, but it does not mean that Islam accepts oppression. Islam teaches that one should do one’s utmost to eliminate tension and conflict. Islam promotes non-violent means to bring change and reform. Actually, Islam urges that one should eliminate evil through peaceful means without the use of force as much as possible. In Islamic history from the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) until now, Muslims most of the time resisted oppression and struggled for liberation in non-violent and peaceful manners.

Jihad may not be terrorising innocent people but it something that was mandated for Muslims.Qital becomes fard al ayn when Muslim land is occupied.It is obligatory to defend Muslims from NonMuslims.

There are so many hadiths stressing the importance of Jihad and we see in the ummah now the effects of giving it up.The ummah is like scum with hearts full of Wahn being decimated and humiliated.Was Umar Ib Al Katab a terrorist? Was Saludin? Will you now agree with the Kuffar and call Rasulullah a murderer too?

The ummah has lost our izzah and we must return to Quran and sunnah.That includes the way of the jihad.

• zahid

Jihad" does not mean "holy war." Literally, jihad means to strive, struggle and exert effort. It is a central and broad Islamic concept that includes struggle against evil inclinations within oneself, struggle to improve the quality of life in society, struggle in the battlefield for self-defense (e.g., - having a standing army for national defense), or fighting against tyranny or oppression.

• Jihad means to strive ,to struggle. Everything we do, whether it be for Allah or someone else, it is Jihad. If we do in the way of Allah, it is a good Jihad, like we pray. We have to make up our mind to do wudhu and pray. It is a Jihad. Like, I wear veil. I face many hardships in this because sometimes people mock me, make my fun but I stick to it because I know I am on truth.

Battle is one of the type of Jihad. Which can be fought in self defense. In rest of the cases, we have to propagate our religion to others, which is also a type of Jihad.

Hope it helps.

• Spread the word man! So long as you do it in a halal way there shouldn't be a problem, but Allah(swt) knows best. Pray for guidence!

~I hate that the meaning of jihad has been twisted so much that when you claim to be people automatically think Terriorist. what ignorance.

The Greater Jihad is to Fight Within

Jihad is to struggle Or strive for :)

Jihad = struggle plain and simple

Jihad - to strive for self-perfection. To avoid evil deeds and to do good.

I think it is better to organize our own media to show what is really going on in this world. How the other media are twisting things to take Jihaad and Qitaal out of Muslims heart.